B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Electric FAN PROBLEM SMH HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 11:56 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation Electric FAN PROBLEM SMH HELP

ok so now I have this electric fan problem cant figure it out my car overheats when the a/c is on its been a pain in the *** had to tow it 80 miles smh, I turned on the a/c and checked to see if the fan was moving but it wasn't so im stumped just got the waterpump replaced and I don't want to throw anymore money at it because im positive its this fan, can it be a fuse or a relay somewhere???

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED

Old 07-17-2013, 02:59 PM
2nd Gear

Check for 12v at the fan connector when it's supposed to be one, most likely the fan motor is burnt out.

Also you signature is ridiculous. This isn't audiworld in 2003, you can't do these things anymore.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:04 PM
1st Gear

ok thanks ill check on that lol at the sig comment I never got around to change it

Old 07-18-2013, 01:27 AM
1st Gear

I ran into this same problem a few weeks back. Underneath the drivers side of the dash there is a few big maxi-fuses. I believe its a 40amp maxi- fuse , check it first.. what happened to me was i replaced that fuse, and the ac and fan worked great for a few hours, then the fuse blew again. i put in a new fuse, and used my dvom in series with the motor and found it was pulling way too much amperage. also used my laser thermometer and pointed it at the motor itself, and it was almost 120degrees. changed out the fan and its been fine ever since. but check that fuse first.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:37 AM
2nd Gear

The fan circuit can be affected by a number of components. There is the fuse as mentioned previously and of course the fan itself. In addition, there is the fan control module located underneath the driver's side frame horn in the front. This is a PWM circuit that varies the fan speed. The transistors can die and cause the fan not to run. There is also a blue temperature sensor in the lower radiator hose, just before the radiator.

The fan is simply a DC electric motor. Apply 12V across the terminals and it should turn, if not, you've found the problem. If the motor and fuse are good, check the temp sensor. You can simply jumper the terminals, which should turn the fan on. If not, I would suspect that the fan control module is toast.

Were you stopped in traffic when you overheated? The stock mechanical fan should be more than enough to keep the condenser cool when moving. The electric fan is really just there for when the car isn't moving to keep the A/C cold. Perhaps the real root of your problem is that the viscus fan clutch has gone out and your car has been relying on the electric one to keep it cool.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:16 PM
1st Gear

yea i was stopped in traffic but when i run on tip it doesnt overheat im guessing because of the higher rpms, but it seems to be when im stopped and the a/c cuts on and off as if it were to be possessed

Old 07-19-2013, 10:09 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by GusTaVz_a4
yea i was stopped in traffic but when i run on tip it doesnt overheat im guessing because of the higher rpms, but it seems to be when im stopped and the a/c cuts on and off as if it were to be possessed
The A/C is cutting out because the condenser in front of the radiator is getting too hot. Most of the time while driving, there is enough airflow to keep the condenser cool, but when you're stopped, the electric fan is supposed to kick in to help out.