B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

electric supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 03:31 PM
1st Gear
Default electric supercharger?

is this a bunch of BS or has anyone seen these electric superchargers on superchargertuning.com in use? they claim a 15 - 40 hp increase which i seriously doubt. but for the the money even a 10 - 15 hp increase might be worth it. just thought i might bring this up for anyone who has seen these

Old 10-19-2011, 04:21 PM
1st Gear

Audi A4 Supercharger Kit Electric A4 Turbo Charger Bolt On

It doesn't even specify 2.8 v 1.8t...

You are def right about the 15hp gain, could be worth it. But i highly doubt this thing could potentially give you 40hp. I don't even really understand wtf this is. I thought a supercharger was connected to your serp belts sort of seated on top of your engine. And that turbine....

Old 10-19-2011, 04:37 PM
1st Gear

well i wouldnt put it on a 1.8 lol the turbo would overpower it by alot. but there is a tutorial video that shows how it works. it looks like it could potentially have use on N/A engines. i want to hear about results tho i wont believe it till i hear from someone who has used one

Old 10-19-2011, 05:06 PM
1st Gear

Lol those dont do jack. Dont buy one as they offer nothing. Turbos / Superchargers cost 10x the amount of this for a reason: they work.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Administrator

ImTheDevil has one on his car. He's running 300 WHP.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:44 PM

Don't even think about it. As for which engine, it couldn't work well with the 1.8T with the turbo still on the car.

The company I work for designs and manufactures fans for commercial, industrial, and military purposes. I work with fans and fan specifications on a daily basis, and my major was mechanical engineering.

To the point: that style of fan is called tubeaxial. It has an impeller (albeit a crappy impeller) with non-airfoil blades. A fan of that size/type with that impeller is not capable of producing the pressure required for substantial gains. Not to mention the total efficiency of that fan is likely below 25%, my guess would be 20%.

As we know, generally it is pressure which must be generated for an engine to gain substantial power. Without forced induction there is only so much that can be done to improve flow into an engine.

Ross-Tech's website suggests that in general you can take the mass airflow into an engine (measured in grams/second) and divide that by 0.8 to get the brake horsepower. A stock 1.8T is rated at 150hp, therefore its mass flow is about 120 g/s. At the stock ~8 psi this gives a volumetric flow of about 146 CFM (if IATs are about 40 deg. C).

For this "electric supercharger" to cause the 1.8T to gain 15hp, there needs to be an additional mass flow of 12 g/s. If the fan were to put out 0.3 psi static pressure (pretty typical for this style of fan) it would need to have a volumetric flow of 159 CFM. If all my calculations are correct the air power requirement would be about 450 watts. If this fan is an optimistic 25% efficient, that's 1800 watts of power drawn from the battery/alternator. At 12V input this means the fan would require a whopping 150 amps! I'll let you judge that number for yourself.

So, there's my theory for why this thing won't work. However, that doesn't mean this concept won't work... If a better fan were made that was 40% efficient, you could gain the 15hp from the above calculations with an input of 1125 watts of electricity or about 1.5hp... Granted there are losses in the alternator and wiring so it might require more like 2hp from the engine but still, the net result would be an additional 13hp Doing this definitely reduces total engine efficiency so gas mileage would decrease.

Last edited by MetalMan; 10-19-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:35 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MetalMan
Don't even think about it. As for which engine, it couldn't work well with the 1.8T with the turbo still on the car.

The company I work for designs and manufactures fans for commercial, industrial, and military purposes. I work with fans and fan specifications on a daily basis, and my major was mechanical engineering.

To the point: that style of fan is called tubeaxial. It has an impeller (albeit a crappy impeller) with non-airfoil blades. A fan of that size/type with that impeller is not capable of producing the pressure required for substantial gains. Not to mention the total efficiency of that fan is likely below 25%, my guess would be 20%.

As we know, generally it is pressure which must be generated for an engine to gain substantial power. Without forced induction there is only so much that can be done to improve flow into an engine.

Ross-Tech's website suggests that in general you can take the mass airflow into an engine (measured in grams/second) and divide that by 0.8 to get the brake horsepower. A stock 1.8T is rated at 150hp, therefore its mass flow is about 120 g/s. At the stock ~8 psi this gives a volumetric flow of about 146 CFM (if IATs are about 40 deg. C).

For this "electric supercharger" to cause the 1.8T to gain 15hp, there needs to be an additional mass flow of 12 g/s. If the fan were to put out 0.3 psi static pressure (pretty typical for this style of fan) it would need to have a volumetric flow of 159 CFM. If all my calculations are correct the air power requirement would be about 450 watts. If this fan is an optimistic 25% efficient, that's 1800 watts of power drawn from the battery/alternator. At 12V input this means the fan would require a whopping 150 amps! I'll let you judge that number for yourself.

So, there's my theory for why this thing won't work. However, that doesn't mean this concept won't work... If a better fan were made that was 40% efficient, you could gain the 15hp from the above calculations with an input of 1125 watts of electricity or about 1.5hp... Granted there are losses in the alternator and wiring so it might require more like 2hp from the engine but still, the net result would be an additional 13hp Doing this definitely reduces total engine efficiency so gas mileage would decrease.
Yeah... What he said..

Old 10-19-2011, 11:54 PM
5th Gear

not only is he running 300whp, he's putting down 400wtq. that thing is like an APR stg3 1.8T. he smokes the crap outta my chipped B8

Old 10-20-2011, 12:11 AM
1st Gear

well..... i guess i got my answer hahaa

Old 10-20-2011, 01:21 AM
Administrator

Metalman just schooled all of us on this one - kickass breakdown man.

And Krip is wrong - I have one on each cylinder bank. I make eleventeen hundred horsepower halfway between the crank and the wheels. But Yu is right - I'll smoke that slushbox rolling tampon of his with my power.

Quick Reply: electric supercharger?