B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Electrical Draw or Bad Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Default Electrical Draw or Bad Battery?

I just recently aquired a 97 A4, 2.8 liter, quattro, 5 speed manual.

So I picked up the car, and everything was good, good deal for me. I get it home, everything still works. I go out about 3 hours later to go to the store and it doesnt start. The starter just turns and turns, all the interior stuff worked fine, radio turned on, idiot lights turned on etc. Then by the time I looked at the voltage gauge it was down around 9 or 10. So I jumped the car this morning, started up fine, drove it to work. Started it up again 3 hours later and everything was still good. Then i went to start it 4 hours after that and it was dead again. No lights were left on, the dome lights were completely shut off, nothing seemed to be left on. Charged up the car with a battery charger, all went well with that, and I drove it home. I try it again in a couple hours and see what happens there.

Some backround on me I used to be a professional mobile electronics technician so I know how to trouble shoot this stuff but it can be very time consuming and I don't have very much time this week so I'm hoping you guys who have owned these cars for awhile can point me in the right direction. Also, a new battery was put in less than a year ago. If you need anymore info let me know.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:21 AM

Anyone?