B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Engine runs extremely hot, is it normal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 11:28 PM
1st Gear

Hey guys, I have an update but am still having problems. So I got the new diverter valve in the mail and installed it. The car does run slightly better when I floor the gas pedal but it still jerks and actually now the CEL came on. I ran the codes and got this:
5 Faults Found:
16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0300 - 35-00 - -
16688 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P0304 - 35-00 - Please Register/Activate
16686 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P0302 - 35-00 - Please Register/Activate
P0300 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
P0302 - 35-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
Readiness: 0010 0001

So it looks like multiple cylinder misfires.

What should I look for next? Should I check the coil packs, spark plugs and the plug wires? Anything else that I should check for?

Old 10-10-2008, 11:30 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by xqwizit
Hey guys, I have an update but am still having problems. So I got the new diverter valve in the mail and installed it. The car does run slightly better when I floor the gas pedal but it still jerks and actually now the CEL came on. I ran the codes and got this:
5 Faults Found:
P0300 - 35-00 - -
16688 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P0304 - 35-00 - Please Register/Activate
P0300 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
P0302 - 35-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
Readiness: 0010 0001

So it looks like multiple cylinder misfires.

What should I look for next? Should I check the coil packs, spark plugs and the plug wires? Anything else that I should check for?
BTW, I cleared the codes and drove around the block again and although the CEL didn't come on this time, it still gave me the following codes:
3 Faults Found:
P0300 - 35-00 - -
16685 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P0301 - 35-00 - Please Register/Activate
Readiness: 0010 0101

So it looks like major misfiring. I'd appreciate any advice to troubleshoot the situation.

Old 10-11-2008, 12:57 AM
Site Moderator

Looks like you had/have misfires for all cyl's. It's probably your ICM, but replace your plugs before doing anything else. Was it doing this before the chip? It's unlikely that all your coil packs go at once.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:15 AM
1st Gear

thanks onepoint8tee. No, none of this was happening before the chip. From other posts about misfires, I take it that the ICM is also referred to as the N122 ignition power unit that's on top of the airbox? I'll check it tomorrow and try to see if it's gone bad. TIA!

Old 10-11-2008, 02:08 PM
3rd Gear

As for the IM being hot, try a NewSouth gasket or the 034. It won't get your engine cooler, but it might help with the cooling process and keeping it at a stable temperature. The fmic will also drastically help with the heatsoak.

As for your codes, have you gapped your plugs? Could be the mapping on your ECU as well. Reason why I bought my APR. TBA & fault-code earaser

Old 10-11-2008, 07:55 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by euro_2nr
As for the IM being hot, try a NewSouth gasket or the 034. It won't get your engine cooler, but it might help with the cooling process and keeping it at a stable temperature. The fmic will also drastically help with the heatsoak.

As for your codes, have you gapped your plugs? Could be the mapping on your ECU as well. Reason why I bought my APR. TBA & fault-code earaser
I tried testing my ICM today and it doesn't seem to read anything when I test it using the procedure that shows a C cell battery. In any case, I'll wait until I have more time to troubleshoot it and change the spark plugs too and hope that fixes it. If not then the investment into the spark plugs isn't a total waste and I would go and buy another ICM.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:28 PM
1st Gear

So I had time today to swap the coil packs b/w the cylinders and drove it around the block and VAGCOM no longer reported misfires. HOWEVER, the car still stutters and shakes when I full throttle the accelerator. Any tips? I want to start with the cheapest fix so I don't need to buy unnecessary parts. I think I'm going to swap out the spark plugs for the NGK 6097's as it seems that they works well for a lot of people here. I still don't know it's the ICM or some overboost control valve that I don't know of or something else. Any other suggestions?

Old 10-19-2008, 09:28 AM
Site Moderator

If it ONLY misses under heavy load then you might have a cracked spark plug insulator (the white part). That has been my experience twice within the last 3 years. I don't know if it's from over torquing the plugs or what. R e p l a c e your plugs with Bkr7e gapped .028

If it was your ICM or a coil pack then the misses would be apparent at idle/part throtle and not just full. I can't believe you still havent replaced your plugs. It's stupid easy and cheap. Not good to put off fixing a misfire. You'll kill your cat.

It's still hard to believe that even if you had a cracked insulator(s) that all of them would be cracked. Still though, replace your damn plugs!

Last edited by onepoint8tee; 10-19-2008 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:46 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by onepoint8tee
If it ONLY misses under heavy load then you might have a cracked spark plug insulator (the white part). That has been my experience twice within the last 3 years. I don't know if it's from over torquing the plugs or what. R e p l a c e your plugs with Bkr7e gapped .028

If it was your ICM or a coil pack then the misses would be apparent at idle/part throtle and not just full. I can't believe you still havent replaced your plugs. It's stupid easy and cheap. Not good to put off fixing a misfire. You'll kill your cat.

It's still hard to believe that even if you had a cracked insulator(s) that all of them would be cracked. Still though, replace your damn plugs!
Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't touched the car in a week so that's why I haven't changed the spark plugs or done anything else to the car. I'm planning on changing the plugs today though. I'll update as soon as I can.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:32 AM
1st Gear

Good news! New spark plugs fixed the stuttering and misfiring. It runs like a champ now. Thanks for all the help! I suggest anyone with misfires to change out their spark plugs. As Onepoint8tee mentioned, it is dirt cheap and easy. It cost me $8 total for the NGK BKR7E at Kragen and a little more for the spark plug socket, gap tool and I was set. 45 min later, my car ran like it should.

Anyhow, here's a pic of my old spark plugs. There was oil on them, does that mean anything?

Lastly, when I accelerate strongly, it sounds as if there's a rattle coming from somewhere around the engine. Could it be the cam chain or is it something else? I listened to my cam chain and it's not extremely noisy but I do notice it. It could be something else and I'm no expert so any advice is appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Engine runs extremely hot, is it normal?-image077.jpg  

Last edited by xqwizit; 10-20-2008 at 01:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Engine runs extremely hot, is it normal?