B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Engine and transmission compatability

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 12:47 PM
1st Gear
Default Engine and transmission compatability

A friend of mine has a couple things i'm interested in putting on my car. I have a 98 a4 1.8t manual. First, he as a a engine out of a 01 a4 1.8t manual. Would that just bolt right up and fit in my car without any modifications. And second he came into possession of a b5 s4 6 speed tranny. Would that bolt up to the 1.8t i have in there right now?

Old 01-11-2013, 01:23 PM
1st Gear

Also i'm trying to do replace the valve stem seals but don't have the tool to do it on the 1.8t. Does anyone know of a way to do it without using the designed tool?

Old 01-11-2013, 03:19 PM
Legal Moderator

audi is kind of like chevrolet. pretty much all tranny's have the same bellhousing and pattern. both transmission will bolt right up. however, the 6 speed requires much more to make it work properly. i wont get into the details but youd need quite a few more parts. search: 01e tranny swap. the 01 a4 tranny on the other hand is essentially the exact same

as for the valve seals, which tool are you talking about? the only "special" tool need would be a valve spring compressor, which isnt that special. you cant really use a ohv valve spring compressor. you need one that is designed to work with ohc valves which are recessed into the head

Old 01-11-2013, 03:57 PM
1st Gear

Ok sweet, what about the Engine though?

Old 01-11-2013, 09:04 PM
Legal Moderator

Oh my bad. Thought you were talking about an 01 tranny. But no, an 01 engine is not bolt up. It can work but not a simple replacement

Old 01-12-2013, 08:02 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by slyrapture
Also i'm trying to do replace the valve stem seals but don't have the tool to do it on the 1.8t. Does anyone know of a way to do it without using the designed tool?

you can pull old ones off with pliers. to install new ones, get a deep socket that fits over the seal and spring part but rests on the lip. see attached picture. the socket must sit where the red ring is. and then you push it on the stem with your hand. you can use an extension if need be. Do NOT Hammer it in!. you will feel it click once its inserted properly. I believe a 10mm socket fits correctly.

Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2013, 08:19 AM

Why wouldnt the tranny from a 96 bolt to an 01? IS it the difference in blocks? I thought all Audis used the 01A 5 speed and they should all bolt up.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:14 PM
1st Gear

I was asking about an engine from an 01 a4 replacing the one i have in there. And was asking about a 6 speed from a s4 as a swap.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:28 PM
1st Gear

And my vw/audi mechanic friend is saying you have to have the spring compesssor tool to get to them. I'm wanting to do this without taking off the head. As part of a tune up i'm doing.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:41 PM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by slyrapture
And my vw/audi mechanic friend is saying you have to have the spring compesssor tool to get to them. I'm wanting to do this without taking off the head. As part of a tune up i'm doing.
it is very possible. you need an ohc valve spring compressor. however, once you take the valve keepers off, the valve could just drop into the cylinder. hope you are following me here. but the way to keep the valve from dropping into the cylinder once the keepers are removed is by getting an adapter to screw into the spark plug hole to apply shop air to the cylinder. this pressurizes the cylinder and keeps the valve without the keepers tigh to its seat. if you want to change valve seals without taking off the head, this is the only way it is possible.

Quick Reply: Engine and transmission compatability