B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

EPC light?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 12:46 AM
Actual WIZARD
Default EPC light?!?

Well this is a new one..

Driving hard and let off the gas, a "pop" followed by a "pshhhht" from under the car. Grumble and turn into parking lot. Car stalls, and rolls the rest of the way. Popped the hood, and oh joy, the little plastic L pipe from the DV hose that recircs into the intake broke. (thats pathetic plastic by the way, a frisbee is literally thicker) I always keep ductape in my car, and I attempted to semi hold them together, didnt work. Cover the part in the intake so its sealed. Start car, and as it struggles to learn WTF just happened, think about how I need a dv thats not open at idle. Car learns enough and I head out. Get on freeway, drive carefully to 50 and set the cruise control. Car makes it about 500 feet, jerks, bucks, and the EPC light comes on, and stays on. It looked like the car went into backup mode, or whatever, because that happened to my moms jetta and it kept right on driving. I saw the car slowing and just figured the car disabled the cruise control, so i gave it gas. Nothing... Downshifted. still nothing... Panicking on the freeway, I throw it into neutral, and turn the car off, then attempt a restart. Fires right up, and light dissappears. Make it to my destination, and pop the hood. Manifold/turbo are bright red. Wayy hotter than normal.

So what happened? Why did the car give up, instead of limp mode?
Whats that light mean? and will there be a fault code?