B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Exhaust suggestions... Need them

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Location: Northboro Mass. In Williamsport PA for college right now.
Default Exhaust suggestions... Need them

Hey guys.

I've had my 98 A4 2.8 sport for a while now and well... I'm just plain sick of the lack of sound! The car is great after a few engine mods and a K&N cold air intake, but it just needs some sound to go with the power.

So here is what I've been thinking...

I'm a college dropout, working at a local Marshalls, with a $250 paycheck per week and a roughly $400 insurance charge per month lol...I don't have a lot of money.

I was originally thinking about taking the resonator out and putting in pipes to fill the void. The car has stock piping on it. I've heard the car is much louder once the res is taken out but i wanted to know...

1) Does it drone? I have run the car before with one of the clamps below the driver's seat detached, and while the poping sound and rumble may have been great, the drone was annoying every once and a while.

2) Sound... Will it be throatier or have that terrible tuner raspy sound? Looking for the deeper evil sound. (For those of you who have had the pipe behind the cat come off, and ran the car like that, I'm looking for that sound... only quieter....)

3) Emissions... Will they be affected, or will there be an unnoticible change?

Just let me know what you guys think. And again I'm looking for a really Really deep tone, but nothing like those fart cans dudes with Honda's run

I am thinking about changing the tuning, and taking off the res... Would that give me a louder and deeper tone without the drone...

IDK where to go and only have a lot of experience with e30's and other BMW's so help me out guys!!!

Thanks

Old 01-06-2010, 04:57 PM
4th Gear

well listen to my exhaust in the thread like 4 below u... its the 55 dollar exhaust thread... here is the vid if u wanna listen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2-V_0EfYmg

Old 01-06-2010, 06:55 PM

@Phil: The video is a little hard to hear from the side of the car, but I do like the idea of $55. Where did you get the parts?

@OP: Don't really want to say your name because it gives me a cramp in my stomach, but that's beside the point. To your questions, I've heard that if you run stock pipes w/o a resonator, it will sound kind of poppy coming off the rpms. Other than that I've heard it makes it a nice bit louder, with a slight bit of drone.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:56 PM
4th Gear

well ill go take another vid then... ill set my phone in the back by the muffler then

Old 01-06-2010, 07:13 PM
1st Gear

read the noob stickies!

Theres not a whole lot you can do with the v6 esp if you have the 12v
You can go for a custom job if you really want. Or do a res delete and change the muffler.

But phil the res delete sounds pretty nice. Not much on the performance side tho?

Old 01-06-2010, 07:16 PM
4th Gear

ok here is a different vid... hope this works better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULcFejYXWS8

Old 01-06-2010, 07:17 PM
4th Gear

@codymack... im not really looking for performance... but i know it should help gas milage a lil bit haha... we took that thing off and that **** weighed a good 50 pounds.. it was rediculous lol

Old 01-06-2010, 10:03 PM
1st Gear

i gotta get a video of mine so u could hear what i have in my baby

stebro exhaust, roughly around $1,800 hehe

but its one of those nice ones u see ferrari's with, lambos sometimes, maserattis and mercedese's i think

google stebro exhausts and check em out

ima make a vid sometime and post it here somewere

Old 01-06-2010, 11:16 PM
3rd Gear

if you keep the stock tail pipe and delete the resonator it will be louder for sure and it will prob be what you want and theres always the future for a axle back when your ready

Old 01-07-2010, 03:07 AM

Phil, that is a very nice sounding exhaust. That's really how I want mine to sound. Any advice on where and what to get would be much much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Exhaust suggestions... Need them