B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

First Car... First Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 02:46 PM
1st Gear
Default First Car... First Build

Hey I'm Keaton and I am well new to everything here hahaa the forum, audis, and well I just bought my first car a beautiful 1997 b5 a4 1.8t with 140k for 2200 with its fair share of problems. Here I will be posting pictures of work I am doing and certain mods. I absolutely love my car but sadly she ain't running complete at the moment.

Problems So Far:
Turbo is out, dont know if there is a connection problem or if it needs replaced
Needs new brake pads
Needs new wheel bearings

Plans for the future:
Replace Everything that is broken
Plasti Dip stock rims
Debadge Car
Forge 007 Diverter Valve
Much moreeee

Alright later I will post pictures of the car after I clean everything. I warn you being a senior in high school and be able to only work 25 hours on minimum wage this car may take a while to do the work on but I promise to post everything I do to it with pictures. Hope you enjoy as much as I will

-Keaton

Old 09-09-2012, 02:53 PM
1st Gear

Other problem after going to Advance today to get the codes read, the engine has multiple misfires and a coolant sensor is out. Once my dad(degree in mechanics) is home on thursday all the work should start

Old 09-09-2012, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the forums.

I think the code is caused by your worn turbo.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:26 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by kriptonik
Welcome to the forums.

I think the code is caused by your worn turbo.
Thanks, that is much what I assume/ hope. It would be convinient if replacing the turbo also fixes these other engine problems. As promised here are the photos.

Also the valence/lower bumper of the front bumper is cracked and needs replaced. I have searched and everything but I have been unable to find any parts. Anyone know where I could pick one up? Thanks in advance

acb97fd1.jpg picture by Keaton12 - Photobucket

Old 09-09-2012, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Nice! The body looks to be in great shape. Some one piece facelift headlights and you'll be set.

Check out ECS Tuning for front valance.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:57 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

Welcome to the forums. You've got a nice list of projects to work on.

One of the cheapest mods you can do is plasti dipping. I just did my wheels, mirror covers, interior grab handles, engine fluid caps, and e brake handle this past week.

Name:  file-9.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  211.7 KB

I didn't see a boost gauge or chip listed in your mod list though, those are essential. (Once your turbo is working that is..)

Old 09-09-2012, 09:07 PM
2nd Gear

Nice! The body looks to be in great shape. Some one piece facelift headlights and you'll be set.
You can go the cheaper route (as most do when upgrading headlight) and buy ecodes. Or you can spend about double or triple(?) the cost and get OEM Valeo housings.

For ecodes, they have chrome and black housings. The black housings can look really nice on a silver car. ImTheDevil has them on his. You may want to search through old Meet threads for pictures of his or maybe someone will be able to pull them up for you.

Chrome:
99-01 AUDI A4 / 00-02 S4 B5 EURO ECODE CHROME CLEAR SIGNALS PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS | eBay

Black:
99-01 AUDI A4/S4 B5 1-PIECE BLACK ECODE PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS | eBay

CCA4 wrote a DIY for the job: 2-Piece to 1-Piece Headlight Conversion - AudiFreaks

The cleanest route for wiring the headlights is with new harness connectors, like these from ECS: Audi B5 A4 Quattro 1.8T > Lighting > Headlights > ES#86 A4 European Headlight Wiring Harness - A4UROWIRINGKIT-A

If you search through part-outs here, Audizine's classifieds, and VWVortex Audi Classifieds you should be able to source them for $20 shipped. At a junkyard, they may ask $5-10.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:45 PM
1st Gear

Check out ECS Tuning for front valance.
Thanks man found it just as you said. Ill be looking into headlights and all that once I get her running well

Old 09-10-2012, 04:56 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by BaseDrifter
Welcome to the forums. You've got a nice list of projects to work on.

One of the cheapest mods you can do is plasti dipping. I just did my wheels, mirror covers, interior grab handles, engine fluid caps, and e brake handle this past week.

I didn't see a boost gauge or chip listed in your mod list though, those are essential. (Once your turbo is working that is..)
Thanks man, your thread is the main reason I decided to create a forum, and a lot of the inspiration for what I plan on doing. You have an amazing build, sorry if I copy somethings hahahahaha.

The boost gauge will come once turbo is up and running. And the chip, carbonio intake and exhaust will come later down the road. As always an input is welcome. This next weekend it seems like I will be doing brake pads, and rotors, plasti dipping, and hopefully debadging. And hopefully I'll pick up a turbo somewhere. Any recomendations for a cheap turbo??

Old 09-10-2012, 10:46 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Keaton Unrein
Also the valence/lower bumper of the front bumper is cracked and needs replaced. I have searched and everything but I have been unable to find any parts. Anyone know where I could pick one up? Thanks in advance[/url]
Not sure how bad your front lip is but I had problems with mine when bought and used some bonding putty then clamped it down in place. Not permanent but its held for a couple months until I can afford a new one. And it's unnoticeable. But I've seen them for around a $100 on ebay, not sure about the quality though :/

Quick Reply: First Car... First Build