B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

First Car... First Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 11:33 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CMac019
Not sure how bad your front lip is but I had problems with mine when bought and used some bonding putty then clamped it down in place. Not permanent but its held for a couple months until I can afford a new one. And it's unnoticeable. But I've seen them for around a $100 on ebay, not sure about the quality though :/
Thanks for the comment, I'll most likely end up getting one off of ECS as advised, well reviewed and not expensive either but I appreciate your suggestion.

Quick Update:
Tomorrow now that my dad has gotten home should be the true start of the build. Plans for tomorrow will be
Brake Pads and Rotors(unfortunately shopping will probably be done most of the day for parts and hopefully by the end of the weekend something will get done
Wheel Bearing: luckily my brothers brother in-law does alot of car work and has access to the machine for a wheel bearing so he will be doing that with the help of me and my brother. Hopefully this gets done soon because the constant humming from the front side is driving me CRAZYYY haha

Shopping for parts will be done specifically the turbo soon now that the Boss is back home so I will make sure to post any orders, and of course actual progress here. Until next time

-Keaton

Old 09-16-2012, 02:22 PM
1st Gear

Hey I think I might have found a replacement turbo for my car. There is someone on the forums who is selling there Ko3 from a 2003 Audi A4.

Would this turbo work on my 1997 A4 as well?? Thanks

Old 09-17-2012, 08:25 AM
Legal Moderator

as far as i know it will work fine

Old 09-20-2012, 10:14 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by redline380
as far as i know it will work fine
Alright sweet, thanks man.

Last weekend we check the rotors and brakes and the rotors are scared but the rest is fine.

So I bought the turbo today and wheel bearing as well has been bought. This weekend it looks like the wheel bearing will be changed, done by my father and I. Ill make sure to post pictures as is necessary.

-Keaton

Old 09-21-2012, 08:27 AM
Administrator

If you don't have access to a press, the best way to change the bearing is to pull the spindle out completely and take it to a shop to have them press the old one out and press the new one in. If you do have a press, use a socket to press out the old one. It'll only come out one way.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:21 PM
1st Gear

Alright so replacing the wheel bearing has been started and quickly brought to a standstill. The outer race of the bearing is stuck in the spindle and because of the fact that there is little of a lip on the race we are unable to get it out.

Anyone with suggestions here? We are just kind of stuck at the moment.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Keaton Unrein
Alright so replacing the wheel bearing has been started and quickly brought to a standstill. The outer race of the bearing is stuck in the spindle and because of the fact that there is little of a lip on the race we are unable to get it out.

Anyone with suggestions here? We are just kind of stuck at the moment.
Did you try to use a press or a slide hammer or what? If all else fails, you can just mangle the race with a pair of pliers to get it out. Be careful not to **** up the spindle too much though.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:18 PM

best bet is to use a press. Sometimes you get lucky and a hub shark poprs it out and sometimes you need a press.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:39 PM
1st Gear

Alright wheel bearing is out soon the new one should be in, as well as the cv driveshaft. I can't wait to drive it afterwards, when it finally drives smoothly. hahaha turbo is on its way as well. Getting exciteddd

Old 11-12-2012, 07:46 PM
1st Gear

Alright its been a while and a lot has changed. So to start my brother and I put in the "new" turbo in a 12 hour period one late saturday night sunday morning, its a world of difference. Tomorrow I'm going to pick up a new front lower valance at a junk yard for $50, so I can't complain. At this point I paid $2200 for the car and $75 bucks for the turbo with my brother and I doing all the work, so I really can't compain on the price for my dream car.

I'm also going to buy some b5 s4 headlights with everything included. Does anyone have better information on the necessary mods and wiring to put these headlights in? I know that trimming the fender is necessary but in terms of wiring what else is necessary. I figured for $120 its a pretty good deal.

Also it seems as like my brother might be getting me a christmas present for me involving something for my car. I'm hoping an s4 mesh grill

Any info on the s4 headlight mod would be very helpful. Thanks

Quick Reply: First Car... First Build