B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Flex Pipe & Cat Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 06:16 PM
2nd Gear
Default Flex Pipe & Cat Problem

I have a hole in one of my flex pipes and am thinking through the best course of action. Ideas are welcomed

This is similar to onepoint8tee's post:
https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-...uh-nuh-169784/

The Car:
1999.0 B5 2.8L 30V

In short, car is on it's way out and I'd like advice on repairs and personal opinions. The long version is below!

Last year my car barely passed inspection due to emissions. I had an O2 sensor replaced and thought I was going to need my ECU replaced--it was showing up as a 1.8T with 4 cylinders, misfiring on at least 2.

Last summer I could hear an exhaust leak. My mechanic confirmed there was a leak in both flex pipes, one being smaller than the other. I called around for a shop with decent prices and the lowest I could find was $400 for one side (ridiculous?). They drop the exhaust, cut out the old flex pipe and weld in the new piece.

I had hoped the other side wasn't going to let go, but a couple weeks afterward I was sure it too ripped. I reset the CEL to see how long I could go without the code coming back. In the past, I've made it several hundred miles which is long enough to pass emissions. The last time I reset the code, it came back within 10 minutes of driving. I'm not going to be able to slip passed emissions this year without doing something about it.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I think the OEM piping is assembled at once and then put on the car. The shops I was quoted from said the flex pipe and cat are so close together, they're connected. This seemed sort of..obvious, but they made a point out of it. I'm pretty sure the cats on my car are the originals. I'm at 184,000 miles now and have no idea if they're "good," clogged, or on their way out. Anyway to check this? I'd imagine so, but am really unsure about what to do, or what places will do this relatively cheap.

A universal flex pipe is about $30 tops. To get to a $400 total, that's about 5 hours of labor. Is dropping the exhaust and welding in a new piece really that involved?

Anyways, I'm not sure what my options are. So far I've narrowed them down to:

1. Have the flex pipe replaced at $400
2. Have the cat checked too
3. Seriously look for another ride
4. Have the O2 sensors coded out (cost? who?)

I've seen catalytic converters upwards of $800

I just priced a universal cat on ECS at$90:
Audi B5 A4 Quattro V6 30v > Exhaust > View All > ES#4387 Universal Catalytic Converter 2.5" - 6906
That seems really cheap.. Is there an issue with a non OEM part?

Would a test pipe do anything for me? I think I'd still need the ECU coded out unless I get a test pipe with a sensor built in to remove the CEL.

Other side issues:

The clutch grabs, but after 184,000 miles, it's on its way out. I can feel it slip. When I put it in 5th at 30mph, the RPMs go up faster than my speedometer reading.

The transmission needs a bearing replaced in 1st gear, and makes a clicking sound It drives okay, but I don't go crazy with it. If I get a new clutch, I might as well replace the transmission and keep the car.
1999 Audi A4 B5 2.8 - YouTube

The valve cover gasket could be replaced. I smell oil after driving it, but it's not too bad right now.

The passenger side front speaker is completely gone. The driver side rear deck speaker blew out. There's a tear in both front seats. The sunroof is broken. Oh, the AC doesn't work... lot's of little things wrong that get annoying, but aren't necessities or that can't be repaired, but still..

The timing belt and CA's were replaced in August 2010. I put new tires on it then.

The current wheels have seen less than a year on the road.
The car was running okay when I purchased ecodes, so it has those on it as well

My questions revolve around asking you guys for opinions on my options on replacing the flex pipe, costs to do so, a test pipe, and general opinions.

Yeah I could keep the car because I know what's been put into it and buying another could leave me in the same position. It's still an option because the transmission and clutch are going, along with the other little things that are starting to get annoying. I may be able to sell it before it's worthless and pick up something a little nicer, which I'd plan to keep and modify.

Thanks for reading!

Old 01-05-2012, 07:49 PM
2nd Gear

I have the same problem and the shop I took it to said the exact same thing. They said the pipe between the flex and cat is too thick to cut on the car and they'll have to pull it and wanted something ridiculous for labour. After a bit of searching I found a full downpipe with a cat for $200 per side, they're all over ebay but I even managed to find a local distributor. Can't comment on quality because I haven't bought them yet, but it's an option.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:18 AM

For the exhaust: if you can find somebody parting out a 30V car on some forum (Vortex, Fourtitude, here, etc) you can try to buy their exhaust, then install it/have it installed on your car. But maybe the install/uninstall is the labor/cost intensive part?

Speakers can be had cheap, and replacement isn't too bad IMO (was one of the first things I did to my car).

Clutches wear out, of course, and replacing this is a big task. Only replace it if you're set on keeping the car for a while longer, otherwise you're just wasting your money.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:00 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by MetalMan
For the exhaust: if you can find somebody parting out a 30V car on some forum (Vortex, Fourtitude, here, etc) you can try to buy their exhaust, then install it/have it installed on your car. But maybe the install/uninstall is the labor/cost intensive part?

Speakers can be had cheap, and replacement isn't too bad IMO (was one of the first things I did to my car).

Clutches wear out, of course, and replacing this is a big task. Only replace it if you're set on keeping the car for a while longer, otherwise you're just wasting your money.

Oh, I've been looking I'm planning to keep the car out of state for an extend period of time while I search for a reasonable shop, the replacement parts, etc. I shouldn't, or should I say, I don't plan on having problems with it not being inspected while out of state. The state it'll be in has owners "inspect" their cars anyways.

If I keep or sell it, the speakers will need to be replaced so I'm shopping around.

If I keep the car, and replace the clutch, then I'm in for good lol

I was hoping there would be a more kind answer to replacing just the flex pipe at $400

Last edited by Skythe; 01-06-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:41 PM
1st Gear

Flex pipe in my 1999 A4 1.8t cracked open. I took it to the local muffler shop. Replaced with new OEM part. Total P+L was $180. That was 2 years back.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:13 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by tunaoue
Flex pipe in my 1999 A4 1.8t cracked open. I took it to the local muffler shop. Replaced with new OEM part. Total P+L was $180. That was 2 years back.
Come again? $180 and I'm looking at $400??

I have a 2.8. I'm not sure if that would make a difference...

Old 01-06-2012, 07:33 PM
1st Gear

yea check other exhaust shops i picked up a flex pipe for $21 at napa brought it to an exhaust shop put on for $50 and i have a 2.8 12v (same exhaust). I advise you look around.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:12 AM
5th Gear

BULLFUCKINGSHIT. i paid 210 total to do both of my flex pipes at the most reputable exhaust shop in town. i bought the flexpipes on ECS, they aren't too good. 400 a side is bullshit. they did go through 5 saw blades to cut both sides though. however 400/side is a total ripoff

Old 01-07-2012, 12:31 AM
1st Gear

i have a similar problem. i was quoted at 485 to fix one of my flex pipes. they said i had a crack in it. the car runs fine, but the noise it makes is just horrible. especially when it's cold outside, lol.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:11 AM
Administrator

The place that built my catback quotes a 2.8 at $200 per side to do flexpipes and they leave it on the car during the work. You're getting ripped off.

Quick Reply: Flex Pipe & Cat Problem