B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Flickering drivers side headlight

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 11:14 AM
1st Gear
Default Flickering drivers side headlight

Hi guys,

Been trying to do some research to find out why my headlight is flickering and I am finding a few conflicting reports but none for my year of A4.

I have a 1999 facelift model with the headlight and indicator all in one but when I am driving at night the drivers side seems to flicker at times when the light is shown on the back of another vehicle you can see this. But it only seems to happen if going over rough ground, breaking or taking off - all these symptoms seems to be the norm for this issue.

Can anyone offer any ideas on what it could be? The headlight itself seems quite new and I only have the car 6 months so it well could be. It is really annoying and would like to get it sorted out especially with the dark nights luming.

Thanks

Old 09-15-2011, 11:53 AM
2nd Gear

Do you have Xenon lights installed? This could be from the factory or an aftermarket kit. If so, this could be an indication that the ballast on that side is going bad or that the voltage to that ballast is dipping too low causing that flickering.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:45 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bshusted
Do you have Xenon lights installed? This could be from the factory or an aftermarket kit. If so, this could be an indication that the ballast on that side is going bad or that the voltage to that ballast is dipping too low causing that flickering.
Thanks mate.

Yeah I have factory fitted Xenons (well I assume they are xenons isn't that what went into the facelift?).

I see what you're saying but I should have noted that it is more of a shaking than flickering and it is slight. I checked lamp over and the only part of it that moves is the motorised bit for the headlight adjustment. Thinking that was the cause, as it appeared to be at first glance, the passenger side is the same and it doesn't shake.flicker so guess that rules that out.

I have changed th bulbs around as per advice I picked up on another thread so will post back latter if that has fixed it, though I very much doubt it will.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:38 PM
1st Gear

OK swapping the bulbs around didn't work (didn't think it would) so it's obviously a problem with the light itself. What are we looking at then a new headlight?

Old 09-15-2011, 06:54 PM
2nd Gear

Not all facelift models came with factory Xenon lights. If you do have Xenon lights, there should be a marking on the back of the light that comes of for the bulbs that says so. Also the plug on the bulb will be unusual.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Sounds to me like a loose ground someplace. Audi daisy-chains their ground connections, so there are plenty of places to check. The ground wires will be the brown ones, sorta poo colored lol. Start with the turn signal/corner light, and work your way in towards the center and then back.