B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Frankenturbo setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 04:19 PM
1st Gear
Default Frankenturbo setup

I have been looking into the FT kit. Its in my price range and i can make my original goal of about 200-220 awhp. If im going to buy it id like to get as much out of it as possible. I will start making a parts list to try to estimate final cost. Any and all help is appreciated. Im trying to decide which exhaust I should ho with 3"? If a new maf (vr6) would be beneficial. Where i shoukd get my tune done. If 440ccs will suffice. Which intercooler i should get that isnt super expensive but will fulfill my cooling needs. Etc. any tips appreciated as well.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:49 PM

Your goal is definitely doable with FT. Here's what I recommend:
-FT kit with exhaust mani, turbo inlet pipe, DV, and 3in MAF housing
-United Motorsport AEB 630cc tune, with Siemens 630cc injectors (cheap, direct drop-in) and 3bar FPR
-Modified stock air box to fit FT 3in MAF housing, with high-flow filter. I ran a cone filter for a while and IMO the intake noise gets old.
-3in test pipe or high flow cat
-2.5in downpipe/exhaust
-Decent sized FMIC, as the FT can flow quite a bit. I've currently got a CX Racing 28x2.5x7.5" intercooler with modified Godspeed hot-side piping and custom cold-side piping
-Manual boost controller run in parallel with the N75 to prevent overboost and boost spikes (I run the Boostvalve kit)
-Upgraded front brakes, minimum A8/TT conversion, to ensure you can slow down quickly enough.
-Also I'd recommend a wideband O2 setup to watch your air-to-fuel ratio. Things like boost leaks, clogged fuel filter, failing fuel pump, etc. can mess with your car and it's nice to be able to see how your car is actually running.
-Upgraded clutch.
-NGK BKR7E spark plugs gapped at 0.028". These plugs only last 5-8k miles, but they're cheap at only $2 each. Since they're copper they should work better than platinum or whatever since they dissipate heat better.

You can check out my "Garage" to get an idea of what I've done:
AudiForums.com - Garage Portal

Last edited by MetalMan; 06-11-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:03 PM
Administrator

^^^ Here's your bible written by your FT guru. Read this to get the juicy details.

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/nit...thread-177020/

Old 06-13-2012, 12:11 AM
1st Gear

Thanks metalman i read your post and your bible and i shall go with your suggestions. You sure 2.5 inch exhaust is good enough or would 3 be more beneficial? Should i do the ecm delete?

Old 06-13-2012, 08:56 AM
3rd Gear

I have a J-Fonz tune on my S4. They also offer an FT kit and tuning for A4s as well. It is set to your specifications. I would def check them out.

B5 S4 tuning

Not sure which year yours is, just noticed the tunes they offer are for 2000+.

edit: disregard that the link says S4 tuning, it leads to the A4 page on their site.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Sheasta
Thanks metalman i read your post and your bible and i shall go with your suggestions. You sure 2.5 inch exhaust is good enough or would 3 be more beneficial? Should i do the ecm delete?
Pretty sure 2.5" exhaust should be enough, as I've read of guys running 2.5" while making higher power/torque than the 220-ish awhp and 260ish awtq. 3" can't hurt, so if that works for you then go for it. For me 3" exhaust would have cost probably an extra $200 which IMO is not worth it on a FT setup.

I certainly would recommend peforming an ICM delete, for everybody. If you are capable of following wiring diagrams, checking continuity/voltage with a multimeter, soldering, then you should be good to go.

Originally Posted by McGovs2.7TB5
I have a J-Fonz tune on my S4. They also offer an FT kit and tuning for A4s as well. It is set to your specifications. I would def check them out.

B5 S4 tuning

Not sure which year yours is, just noticed the tunes they offer are for 2000+.

edit: disregard that the link says S4 tuning, it leads to the A4 page on their site.
Yeah that would be a less expensive choice for sure, but like many companies, they don't offer a tune for AEB engines (1996-1999).

Old 06-13-2012, 03:17 PM
1st Gear

Yep i got a 1999.5 the last aeb. However mines a quattro is my 220 whp still easilly obtainsble. I moticed yours is a fwd metal. Also meant to ask. When going fir performance is it better to buy a full echaust or can o still do what jeremy suggested and get a resonator snd muffler and have exhaust shop make the rest custom 2.5" and save myself ~$400

Old 06-13-2012, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sheasta
Yep i got a 1999.5 the last aeb. However mines a quattro is my 220 whp still easilly obtainsble. I moticed yours is a fwd metal. Also meant to ask. When going fir performance is it better to buy a full echaust or can o still do what jeremy suggested and get a resonator snd muffler and have exhaust shop make the rest custom 2.5" and save myself ~$400
Mine dyno'd at 204 fwhp and 243 fwtq with an inadequate tune/fueling combination. My current setup isn't even dialed in yet and doesn't seem to be running 100%, so my goal is ~230 fwhp. 220 seems to be about what is achievable with a Quattro drivetrain.

The exhaust on my car is pretty much "what Jeremy suggested". 034 Motorsport 3" high-flow cat, Milltek 2.5" downpipe, 3-bolt exhaust flange welded to that downpipe, and custom mandrel-bent 2.5" downpipe-back piping with a Magnaflow 14815 muffler and Magnaflow 22" resonator. Definitely save some money and get it done by your local shop if you can.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:29 PM
1st Gear

Ok will do. So i should get a 3 inch test pipe to 2.5 inch downpipe?

Old 06-14-2012, 01:45 AM

If you're gonna go with a test pipe (they are highly illegal in California...) it seems the Evolution Racewerks one would be a good choice because it is 3" at the turbo outlet and tapers to 2.5" at the downpipe connection. This would be if you decide on 2.5" piping. Otherwise, a standard 3" test pipe would suffice (034 Motorsport, ECS Tuning, etc.).

Quick Reply: Frankenturbo setup