B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Front Mount Intercooler Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 08:56 PM
1st Gear

sorry for late response but i still have my a/c condensor i didnt need to relocate or delete it just cut a a lil piece of bumper support to fit over intercooler

Old 04-15-2014, 05:19 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Pbcrazy
Intercooler:
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=330350756025
Piping (i couldn't find the exact one I bought but this looks almost identical):
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=251298595604

The connections should be fine, I just bought higher quality ones just in case
I'm looking to upgrade myself and couldn't find the piping size on that link you provided. I emailed the seller and asked, however I'm having trouble finding 2" piping at all on ebay. I've searched both piping kits solely, and complete FMIC kits, but all seem to be 2.5". I found another core that's 2.25" inlet/outlet, but not sure if this will work with the piping kits you provided.

27x6x2 5 Aluminum Turbo Bar Plate Fmic Front Mount Intercooler Black 2 25"Inlet | eBay

I've read the 2.5" piping/intercoolers will actually result in power-loss and turbo lag, but I can't find any Ebay kits that are smaller than 2.5" for some reason. Seeing as I don't want to go any bigger than my K04, I just want something that will be more efficient that my stock one.....

HELP! lol

Old 04-15-2014, 08:01 PM
2nd Gear

I have a 2.5" core, with 2.5"-2" silicone transitions of the piping. I got the piping from origin motorsports for ~$130. I emailed them and they sent me 2" though the ad was for 2.5". 2" piping is perfectly fine with a 2.5" core. Don't go bigger than a 2.5" core though since you won't have much of a bumper left after cutting lol.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:27 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by wildfan4eva
I'm looking to upgrade myself and couldn't find the piping size on that link you provided. I emailed the seller and asked, however I'm having trouble finding 2" piping at all on ebay. I've searched both piping kits solely, and complete FMIC kits, but all seem to be 2.5". I found another core that's 2.25" inlet/outlet, but not sure if this will work with the piping kits you provided.

27x6x2 5 Aluminum Turbo Bar Plate Fmic Front Mount Intercooler Black 2 25"Inlet | eBay

I've read the 2.5" piping/intercoolers will actually result in power-loss and turbo lag, but I can't find any Ebay kits that are smaller than 2.5" for some reason. Seeing as I don't want to go any bigger than my K04, I just want something that will be more efficient that my stock one.....

HELP! lol
That's tiny, go big or go home! Get a real intercooler, thats simply to say for have a FMIC.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:55 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by adam044
That's tiny, go big or go home! Get a real intercooler, thats simply to say for have a FMIC.
"thats simply to say for have a FMIC"<<<<WTF?

Tiny? Ok, is that why a lot of people run them (27x6x2.5) on tuned k03's, K04's, and even bigger? This one in particular was just something I threw out there, however I ALSO attached about 5-6 other ones. Considering this one is 27x6x2.5, that's the most common size FMIC out there for our vehicles, and my guess is that the picture is just deceiving. PB seems to use a 27x6x2.5 without issues on an even larger turbo. Idea, look at the size for an accurate size interpretation, not just a picture. Honestly, didn't you just come here only a couple months ago completely clueless about how/what to upgrade things such as a DV, software, etc? Now, you're all of a sudden an expert on FMIC's? LMAO! Of course there's much higher quality FMIC's, but as other EXPERIENCED members have said, there's no reason to spend $500-$1000 on an FMIC unless it's for a BAD-*** setup. A Godspeed/CXRacing FMIC is FAR better than the stock SMIC.

Go big or go home? Yea, that's coming from someone that said the same thing regarding a Forge 007 (I believe it was) that's 2x the cost of what is actually necessary, not too mention that you STILL decided to go with the 710N after numerous members (including myself) told you how it is.....that theory (go big or go home) is only applicable in certain circumstances dude. One being a turbo, something I learned the hard way.

Whatever dude, that 2.5" kit is more than enough for a K04 setup, and obviously even plentiful for a FT seeing as PB is running one similar in size. Simply laughable.....again....coming from someone that has spent the last month or two learning the basics of tuning/upgrading a stock A4....

Last edited by wildfan4eva; 04-16-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:09 PM
2nd Gear

Tiny? Ok, is that why a lot of people run them (27x6x2.5) on tuned k03's, K04's, and even bigger? This one in particular was just something I threw out there, however I ALSO attached about 5-6 other ones. Considering this one is 27x6x2.5, that's the most common size FMIC out there for our vehicles, and my guess is that the picture is just deceiving. PB seems to use a 27x6x2.5 without issues on an even larger turbo. Idea, look at the size for an accurate size interpretation, not just a picture. Honestly, didn't you just come here only a couple months ago completely clueless about how to upgrade things such as a DV, software, etc? Now, you're all of a sudden an expert on FMIC's? LMAO! Of course there's much higher quality FMIC's, but as other EXPERIENCED members have said, there's no reason to spend $500-$1000 on an FMIC unless it's for a BAD-*** setup. A Godspeed/CXRacing FMIC is FAR better than the stock SMIC.

Go big or go home? Yea, that's coming from someone that said the same thing regarding an APR DV, not too mention that you STILL decided to go with the 710N after numerous members (including myself) told you how it is.....that theory (go big or go home) is only applicable in certain circumstances dude. One being a turbo, something I learned the hard way.

Whatever dude, that 2.5" kit is more than enough for a K04 setup, and obviously even plentiful for a FT seeing as PB is running one similar in size. Simply laughable.....again....coming from someone that has spent the last month or two learning the basics of tuning/upgrading a stock A4....
Go Bruins!

Old 04-16-2014, 10:13 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by adam044
Go Bruins!
Yeah, way to provide absolutely nothing to the thread. If all you have is "that's tiny bla bla ba" well, what's the point of posting anything?

*Yawn*

Last edited by wildfan4eva; 04-16-2014 at 10:17 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:26 PM
2nd Gear

No reason to get hostile guys, as a general rule (that I just made up, but it is mostly accurate lol) if you are running stock rods then a eBay fmic will be fine. No reason to shell out 3-4x the amount for a more efficient brand name cooler if an eBay one won't change the intake temps much. The fmic in question is plenty for a k04, both metalman and I run similar fmics on our frankenturbo setups with no problems.

I'm not sure why Adam thinks that is a small fmic, it's about 2x the size of the stock smic, not to mention it is in direct airflow instead of whatever air makes it's way through the hole for the stock setup.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:38 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Pbcrazy
No reason to get hostile guys, as a general rule (that I just made up, but it is mostly accurate lol) if you are running stock rods then a eBay fmic will be fine. No reason to shell out 3-4x the amount for a more efficient brand name cooler if an eBay one won't change the intake temps much. The fmic in question is plenty for a k04, both metalman and I run similar fmics on our frankenturbo setups with no problems.

I'm not sure why Adam thinks that is a small fmic, it's about 2x the size of the stock smic, not to mention it is in direct airflow instead of whatever air makes it's way through the hole for the stock setup.
LOL, try working in a county jail for a couple years, now that's hostile. I'm just telling this kid how it is, nothing more. It's obvious that "Adam" has some hard on for me because I'm a hockey fan, and of course root for someone else than the B's (or so I assume). Otherwise, why the "Go Bruins" BS each time I put him in his place? (i.e. contradict his invalid points)

Hell, this kid was here bantering you, me, among others that were trying to help when he joined only a short time ago, all while he didn't even know the basics. Then, cried for everyone to stop picking on him when he brought it on himself. Now, he's here again thinking he knows something about FMIC's.....but it's obvious he doesn't. It's becoming a broken record.....

Anyway, back on topic......After side-by-side (net) comparisons to CXracing and Godspeed, I'm looking at the fastwayracer kit from Ebay I posted earlier in the thread for $212, down from $250 since it's on sale. Looks nice, and is comparable in #'s to the Godspeed & Co.....here it is again....comes with 2 yr warranty according to seller even though it isn't in the listing. I'll be keeping the email via Ebay for records just in-case.

98 01 A4 1 8T B5 Upgrade Bolt on Front Mount Intercooler Piping Kit Map Sensor | eBay

Last edited by wildfan4eva; 04-16-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:07 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah, way to provide absolutely nothing to the thread. If all you have is "that's tiny bla bla ba" well, what's the point of posting anything?

*Yawn*
I have nothing to say to you because you go on a rampage whenever someone says something that you don't agree with. I will not waste my time with you. Enjoy.

Looks like you "put me in my place" real good. What are you 5? Hide behind your computer screen and keyboard some more you big macho man. I could care less what team you root for especially the Wild... It clearly gets under your skin though who I root for and that's great.

Last edited by adam044; 04-16-2014 at 11:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Front Mount Intercooler Suggestions