B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

good tuning option? injector connector?

Old 11-22-2012, 10:12 PM
1st Gear
Default good tuning option? injector connector?

I'm going to be upsizing my turbo soon to one the larger K04's available. I do plan on trying the giac pc16 awe ecu I currently have but would also like to upgrade the ecu setup and properly get it tuned to push for absolute peak hp. This makes sense because I'm planning a 6758efr later on. I have seen the maestro setup. Is it a good option? Is there better options? I want tuning flexibility but I'm also cost conscious as well.

Injectors Im also confused. What connector and size is needed as well as spray pattern. Thank

Old 11-23-2012, 07:17 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by zandrew
I'm going to be upsizing my turbo soon to one the larger K04's available. I do plan on trying the giac pc16 awe ecu I currently have but would also like to upgrade the ecu setup and properly get it tuned to push for absolute peak hp. This makes sense because I'm planning a 6758efr later on. I have seen the maestro setup. Is it a good option? Is there better options? I want tuning flexibility but I'm also cost conscious as well.

Injectors Im also confused. What connector and size is needed as well as spray pattern. Thank
dude am so confuse on what your asking its just one big paragraph, u want to know what injectors size to get.. but question is for what tune are you talking about? if its for pc16 it has to be 310cc, as for the other half of your post i dont understand what you are asking.

for the record you cant tune and think to cut corners and save if that's how you think you are in the wrong hobby just saying lol its like saying i want to lease a car and have no job.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:29 AM
1st Gear

I am befuddled how you don't understand the post. Its actually a pretty straight forward question. I currently have the AWE kit with PC16 upgrade and plan on using it for my upcoming K04 upgrade (the ECU and injectors). AWE does not have the specs for the injectors and I was concerned about their size which I have found out is with good cause as they are anemic and I would be pushing them over 200awhp which is much less then what my turbo can produce.

I later plan on swapping to a larger turbo either the 6258 efr or 6758 efr which will need additional tuning so it would only make sense to buy whatever tuning setup I want now and get accustomed to it before I proceed with more hp. I was asking if the Maestro tuning suite is good option which is decently priced for what you get.

Where in any of this do you see me cutting any corner? Look the price up of each item I posted and see if that is cutting corners. However it is perfectly possible to save money and make horswepower and also be successful. The ones that can't do it are incapable of taking the time and figuring out how to do it on their own or can not resource the people that can. You can make just as much hp ON YOUR OWN without buying every little bit for your car. If you build a car you will appreciate it so much more then BUYING a car.

My unfortunate situation is that I am new to Audi. HOWEVER the recipe for any build is pretty much the same. Research, reasearch, research, then plan, and research again what you planned. Ask others what they think and then research their responses and if they are capable of giving you legitimate info. Then yet more research and more asking those in the know. Finally once you are confident in your work, you can start buying...

I have built and tuned on my own:

1991 Toyota MR2 turbo 302whp
1986 GTS Corolla turbo 222rwhp

I have built countless custom turbos for others builds.

FYI its a lot easier starting with a car that is already turbod.

PS: When I asked injector size I am not referring to its flow characteristics. I am referring to its physical size. Like its length in MM, its connector (EV1, EV14, etc), and spray pattern.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:53 PM

My history was this: GIAC base K03 tune (17-18 psi) --> FrankenTurbo kit --> PC-16 tune (18-19psi) --> larger MAF housing with appropriately larger injectors (called "Hillbilly tuning") --> United Motorsport 630cc tune (22psi).

When running a hybrid K04 on PC-16 tuning (at the normal 18-19 psi) the stock MAF sensor in the stock MAF housing will be out-flowed as the limit the ECU can read with that configuration is about 190 g/s.

PC-16 tuning was meant for 31lb injectors @ 3bar fuel pressure. Many people (including myself) opted for 315cc injectors @ ~2.7-2.8bar fuel pressure. With a hybrid K04 you can easily sustain max injector duty cycle through a large portion of the RPM range while at WOT. As you know, it's best to stay away from max injector duty cycle by at least 10-20%.

So my conclusion: unless you limit the wastegate pressure, your tune will not be appropriate for a hybrid K04. You're much better off with a tune that can handle a 3in MAF (2.75in / 70mm ID) housing such as the MK3 VR6 MAF housing. FrankenTurbo also sells a knockoff version of this housing for a good price. And if you limit pressure that low, you're really not getting as much out of the turbo setup as you should... IMO that would be wasteful.

I'm not familiar with Maestro tuning other than knowing it is highly adjustable/customize-able. This could be a better option than running your hybrid K04 on the PC-16 tune.

Can't tell you the injector physical specs, but if you can find info on the Siemens 630cc injectors (which are a direct drop-in) you may be able to answer your question.
Siemens 60 LB or 630cc Fuel Injector, High Impedance - 034Motorsport | Performance Parts for Audi, Porsche, and Volkswagen
Actually just found out they are EV1.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:59 PM
1st Gear

I am totally aware that PC16 will not be able to handle the turbo. Typically most ECU's can compensate for a few CC's on injectors but too run 200awhp I will need somewhere in the range 400cc injectors. I have a set of 365cc and 440cc but these are most likely out of the range of the PC16. I am still going to try it but be very conscious of my AFR (Thanks to my MTX-L Innovative wideband).

I plan on selling my K04 015 setup with PC16 upgrade and HOPING that I can snag the maestro setup. I think it comes with a couple base tunes for different stages. Tuning is not that hard though as long as you know what your doing and are very patient. I also have a Gtech pro and it is fairly accurate so I can directly monitor my results.

I noticed after taking a second look that the CX-7 turbo and the frankenturbo uses different size compressors though they share similiar design. The Frankenturbo has 41mm inducer. The CX7 uses 42.5mm inducer.