B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

gt2x elim

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 05:46 PM
1st Gear
Default gt2x elim

do people still not have good reviews on this set up? has it gotten any better? i want a setup with a lot a grab load of pwoer but then again more then the ko4. i also dont want to be going to the shop every month!

Old 02-11-2008, 05:59 PM
Default RE: gt2x elim

um, I have read mixed reviews about the gt2x...the reason is because it is solely cooled by oil and not by coolant as well like all of the other turbo's available for our cars

if you are not mechanically inclined and you cant afford to pay someone else to regularly tweak your car a bit...I would say a bt isnt for you...

what kind of a4 do you have

my guess: 1999 A4 1.8 Turbo FWD TIP

soo...ummm...yeah

the GT2X isn't much better than the K04...I would stick with the K04 if you are on a budget...it gives you more leeway and you can take your time on the mods

like stages

1-ko4/chip
2-intake/tip/fmic
3-hfc/exh.
4-injectors/new prgrm PC-16

---------------------------------

the other way to go would be a semi BT....like an eliminator (gt28rs), a bolt on that will immediately need supporting mods

I would say that to get an eliminator set-up by a shop on tour car would be around $5,500...or you could diy for around $3500

if you really want big power....

t3/t4...inexpensive setup that pushes BIG power, but because it is journal bearing you don't really need internal mods to push huge power

one word of advice would be to work within your means....I would say that unless you have another/spare/extra car...that you should stick with K03

I will say right now that if you have skill working with motors/turbos/troubleshooting....that a BT is definately for you,,,but if you will require a shop for ever single hiccup (and there will be hiccups regularly even with the most expensive set-ups) then a BT probably isn't for you...

from waht I know about the gt2x, there have been some that did perform and worked out very well, and then there were some that didn't last long at all...

if I did a turbo setup it would prolly be a t3/t4, mainly because the tq isn't soo suden, which means that you don't have to worry about moleting your rods...lol

gl!

Old 02-11-2008, 06:01 PM
1st Gear

wrong 1.t fwd 5 speed
with already
fmic
intake
short sifter
revo chip
test pipe
and 2.5 exhaust

Old 02-11-2008, 06:04 PM
1st Gear

what you think my car would run to the wheels with a ko4 set-up pc-16 file and w/m injection with the other mods already on then car

Old 02-11-2008, 06:08 PM
I'm make believe

Dont listen to him. Being oil cooled only has nothing to do with the turbos life span. The problem was bad tuning and lack of care for the turbo. If most would go check there stock turbo, they would be shocked that many of them are not running the water lines that are on the stock turbo. Even then, the stock turbo last over 100k miles.

The turbo is good for about 240awhp and 260tq. You will need 380cc tune for the turbo and you will be good. It has stock like spool and a nice powerband. Not to mention it doesnt outflow the manifold and flange.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:08 PM

It was a wild guess, I coulda done worse....what year is it?

well, then you must also take into consideration that you will need a new clutch to go BT....

sounds like you are ready to start piecing together a gt28 setup

you should first pick the turbo, I do not suggest the gt2x....

then you pick the programmer, and the programmer picks the injectors...

you will also need...exh. mani (unless you do an elim., which isn't a real BT imo), fpr, turbo inlet pipe, mbc/ebc (i'd go ebc)

and you should also think about upgrading breaks and suspension...like some a8 rotors and at least a set of shocks and springs (for the added power)...although there are people who run BT's without any suspenaion or brake mods

Old 02-11-2008, 06:10 PM
I'm make believe

He isnt looking for BT power. Just a faster daily.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:13 PM

ORIGINAL: cincyTT

Dont listen to him. Being oil cooled only has nothing to do with the turbos life span. The problem was bad tuning and lack of care for the turbo. If most would go check there stock turbo, they would be shocked that many of them are not running the water lines that are on the stock turbo. Even then, the stock turbo last over 100k miles.

The turbo is good for about 240awhp and 260tq. You will need 380cc tune for the turbo and you will be good. It has stock like spool and a nice powerband. Not to mention it doesnt outflow the manifold and flange.
lol. Like I said above, I don't know much about the GT2x besides that fact that it is solely oil cooled

I also said that I have heard both good and bad reviews on the turbo....but I have no real experience with it, or any BT for that matter, I am regurgitating what I have read

I now assume that anyone who had a bad experience with a GT2x was simply an unexperienced a$$hat and did not properly install/take care of it....

Cincy, thank you for clearing that up...I think I read a bad review over on audizine that just lead me to suspect that the turbo wasn't as durable as others...I apparently was wrong.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:19 PM
I'm make believe

Its basically a garrett gt20 with a special ko3 style turbine housing. The flange flows enough for 250whp so thats not an issue like a 400hp gt71r. Most turbos are just oil cooled. All you have to do is let the car idle 20sec-1min after driving it and thats it. Also the turbo can only really do maybe 23-24psi and i bet people have tried to push it past that. The stock turbo is more durable in higher boost than the gt20 and people pushing that kill the turbo.

To recap.

380cc tune (giac ko4 file is fine)
sit or get a turbo timer to cool properly
dont over boost the turbo

Old 02-11-2008, 06:29 PM

^good info cincy...

would you run it on the standard giac tune?...could it handle the pc-16 tune?

I assume you are talking about the PC-16 tune because the standard Ko4 tune is for stock injectors.

turbo timer ftw!

I think I read that the Pc-16 spikes around 25-28 psi, will that hurt the GT2x?...should you use a mbc/ebc to get the boost down around 23-24psi?

so, with the GT2x on a pc16 file with all supporting mods it will push 250whp?...

sounds like a turbo everyone should consider before going Ko4

Quick Reply: gt2x elim