B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Help with 2001 A4 Keyless Entry

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 03:09 PM
1st Gear
Default Help with 2001 A4 Keyless Entry

I have brand new batteries in my switch-blade remote, and have tried re-syncing my remote to my car on numerous occasions. I bought the car from her original owner spring 2012, and only come winter did my keyless entry stop working.
I can use my key to manually lock/unlock the car doors, so there isn't a problem directly with the locks. I have searched google and many forums looking for others with this issue, but haven't had any luck. Every forum just tells the OP to try re-syncing their remotes... which I have tried to no avail.

I apologize in advance if I missed other threads that address this issue.

I should also put this out there: I don't have much money right now to take my car to the shop to diagnose anything. All help is appreciated greatly, but I may not be able to solve it depending on what all is required in this.

If more information is required, I'm more than happy to supply. Thanks so much in advance!
- Jesse

Old 01-04-2013, 04:50 PM
2nd Gear

Really need a VAG-COM for that one. That would tell you a lot in about 2 minutes. Check this thread, there are some guys who will pull codes for you. See if anyone here is near you.

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-...ag-com-140752/

Old 01-05-2013, 11:10 AM
1st Gear

Thanks mtroxel. Unfortunately that thread doesn't seem to have anyone in Manitoba with a VAG.
I realize they are not the same thing, but I have an OBD-II scanner for my car, which I have used and it does not pick up any faults. I guess OBD-II scanners are really only good for when the check engine light is on?

Anyway, maybe I'll have to wait until summer and just purchase my own VAG. I don't know what else to do, unless I want to go to a dealership? :/

Old 01-05-2013, 12:57 PM
1st Gear

So you say you have tried to re sync but what exactly are you doing to attempt it? I've read a few different methods but for our 2001's, this is straight out of the user manual. Try this and get back to us if it doesn't work. The instructions are outlined in red. Also are you sure you inserted the batteries in the right orientation? The smooth sides of the batteries should be down when inserted into the fob cover.

Doug

Last edited by Cybersombosis; 01-05-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:13 AM
1st Gear

Yes, I've made sure the batteries are in the right orientation, and I have used the exact method from the owners manual to re sync. I have done it before successfully, when I first installed the new batteries this fall. It was working fine for a couple of months before it just stopped locking/unlocking the doors.

I've read in other forums about a method using 2 keys to re sync the remote, but I believe that is for newer models of the car?

Again, thanks so much for trying to help me troubleshoot this problem.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:09 AM
2nd Gear

Try to clear them all, then recode. From Bentley:
  • Clearing memory positions
  • Note:
  • It is possible to clear all memory positions, e.g. if a customer loses a remote transmitter. Proceed as follows:
  • Switch ignition on using key.
  • Then mechanically lock centralal locking from outside vehicle using key.
  • Activate remote transmitter "unlock" button on key five times at one second intervals. A short horn signal will sound each time.
  • Then, after 6 seconds, press remote transmitter "unlock" button to confirm this clearing procedure one more time.
  • Memory is now erased, central locking should no longer unlock itself via remote transmitter.
  • Switch ignition off.
  • Up to four transmitters can now be coded again.
Then recode this way:
  • Remote transmitter coding procedure
  • Switch ignition on (using separate key).
  • Lock vehicle from outside using key to be coded via driver-side door lock.
  • Press "unlock" button within 5 seconds often enough to reach next memory position (in example given, twice).
  • Every press of the button is confirmed by the emergency flashers and the anti-theft system horn.
  • Wait 5 seconds.
  • Now press "unlock" button one more time (vehicle unlocks).
  • Switch ignition off and remove ignition key.
  • Check function of new transmitter.
  • Check display field 2 in measuring value block 003. It should now display another "1" (in example given: 1100).
  • Note:
  • Be sure that new transmitters are always coded into free memory positions. If occupied positions (distinguishable by a "1") are used, the transmitter previously coded to this position will no longer work.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:07 PM
1st Gear

I'll try and give it a shot and see what happens. I'm a little confused by a few things, though.
For example: third bullet in the coding procedure says to press the unlock button "enough times". I really am not sure how to interpret that. Does that mean twice? Ten times?
The other thing I don't really understand is how do I see what the value block is? At the end it says I should "Check display field 2 in measuring value block 003. It should now display another "1" (in example given: 1100)." I'm not even sure what that means.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:48 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by soulstep
third bullet in the coding procedure says to press the unlock button "enough times". I really am not sure how to interpret that. Does that mean twice? Ten times?
You can program up to four key fobs. So after you erase everything, you program the first key to the first "memory position" so you just press unlock once in the first 5 seconds, then do the rest. After that one is programed, you do the second fob and you're programing to memory position 2 so you press unlock twice in the first 5 seconds, then do the rest.

The other thing I don't really understand is how do I see what the value block is? At the end it says I should "Check display field 2 in measuring value block 003. It should now display another "1" (in example given: 1100)." I'm not even sure what that means.
This is from Bentley, and they think you're hooked up to VAG-COM. I tried to edit out all the VAG-COM stuff because you don't have to have it for this proceedure. I just missed one. The VAG-COM referrences are just to check and see if the programing shows up in the meauring blocks.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:58 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for clearing those up. I tried your instructions a few times, and didn't seem to get any results in any of them. I didn't get any flashing lights or honking horns while either clearing the settings or re syncing my keys. And at the end of all of those steps, they keyless entry still doesn't work.

Another thing that may perhaps be related: when I lock the car manually with the key, I can hear the mechanism in the trunk going for around 10 seconds after the system has locked. It doesn't keep going when the car is unlocked though. I don't know, perhaps this is normal. But perhaps it isn't?

Old 01-08-2013, 04:39 PM
2nd Gear

when I lock the car manually with the key, I can hear the mechanism in the trunk going for around 10 seconds after the system has locked.
Not normal. That's too long, and usually means you've got a leak in the pneumatics somewhere. If so, that is probably not related to the remote problem.

One other thougt, the brains for the system is in the right, back corner of the trunk. Some guys have gotten water in that little well and screwed it up that way. Are you wet back there?

Aside from that, I think we're just spit-balling at this point. You need a VAG-COM to point you in the right direction on this thing.

Quick Reply: Help with 2001 A4 Keyless Entry