B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

HELP!!, Did I screw up my engine (bent valves) ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 09:24 AM
Exclamation HELP!!, Did I screw up my engine (bent valves) ??

SWEET MERCIFUL CRAP, I HOPE DIDNT SCREW UP MY ENGINE!!

I recently got rid of my old 2nd car (BMW 318is) and bought a 2001 audi A4 1.8T (b5) with 150k miles 3 weeks ago 07/22/10.

The car was in good shape except it made a loud noise (diesel engine sound) when idling on a warm engine, I pulled the codes and I got 2 errors:

P1340 - Crankshaft-/Camshaft Pos.Sens.Signals Out of Sequence
P0011 - camshaft position timing over advanced

I bought a new Camshaft Sensor and the P1340 was cleared.
The P0011 lead me to believe that the cam chain tensioner was bad.

Here is where the trouble starts.
I removed the valve cover, set the cams to TDC, remove the old tensioner (the plastic on it was broken), and installed a new one.

(HINDSIGHT MISTAKE) I believe I positioned the links on the cam chain wrong, because in the picture I took it looks like 15 links between the 2 points instead of 16.
I gave the pulleys a few turns with my breaker bar and it moved smoothly. I started the engine and it started normally but stops after 4 seconds. I pull the codes (P0011 cleared) and I get:

P0340 - CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR ”A”CIRCUIT

I looked online and I find the diagram specifying the 16 links. I compare the diagram to the pic I took, the I remove the valve cover again and set the chain correctly.

diagram

My chain after first change.

I started up the car and now it runs extremely rough, and idles really low, and I got more codes:

P0340 CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR ”A”CIRCUIT
P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
P0304 Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected

I'm hoping that the timing belt is off a tooth or something, but is it possible that I screwed up my engine / bent my valves?
I also changed my spark plugs (had oil on them) but I still have the misfire codes.
(note: I assumed the timing was correct so I only check TDC on the cams )

I read on this forum that this engine wont run with bent valves, I hope for my sake this is true.
I'm currently gearing up for a compression test and changing the timing belt this weekend.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by jasonmp3; 08-05-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:21 PM
4th Gear

Well you really wont know till you check the compression. But you might want to go back and make sure you have the cams timed correctly and the timing belt/pulley are correctly lined up.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:23 PM
1st Gear

Yes, and by that diagram you've posted, it's 16 pins, not 16 gaps. Could be worth checking it again.
Otherwise check your timing.
Once you're sure timing is correct & it still won't run properly, compression test it!

Old 08-06-2010, 05:37 AM
1st Gear

At tdc there are marks on either cam that should face straight up. One tooth off wont bend valves, but any more and it might. I know when I did my rebuild I lined them up one tooth off on the intake side and it ran like ****. Moved it back and it ran perfect.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:42 PM
2nd Gear

Check the coilpacks too...if you never got the recall done, the ones in there a frail and could have gotten messed up when you removed them

Old 08-09-2010, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Desert Fox
At tdc there are marks on either cam that should face straight up. One tooth off wont bend valves, but any more and it might. I know when I did my rebuild I lined them up one tooth off on the intake side and it ran like ****. Moved it back and it ran perfect.
Eureka, the timing is off, by about 2 teeth. I was certain it didnt budge, Im thinking it was always off and perhaps with the camshaft chain being slack somehow it ran decently. I did buy it with a P0011 code - "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1).

Im half way finished changing the timing belt, I'm just having a hard time getting the crankshaft pully off. Im headed to the store to get a chain wrench to help get it off, Ill tell yall how it goes.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:22 AM
Tech Slut

What are you going to use a chain wrench for? And why are you taking your crank pulley off anyway? To get it off tho, you only need to remove the allens (6mm iirc)... This is best done with an electric impact fyi.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:20 AM

Update:
Ok, since I was correcting the timing I went ahead and changed the timing belt, water pump, AC compressor (wasn't working), all the belts, all the o rings, and the alternator.

I'm still getting the same errors for the camshaft sensor and misfires.

I figured its either Im not getting compression, the coils or wires are bad, the spark plugs are bad, Im not getting any fuel, or not getting any air.

I changed all the plugs, no change.

I tested to see if I have proper compression, I do, no change.

I switched the coils around and the codes stayed the same, no change.

I've been reading around and thought it might be the ICM (ignition control module), And I cant seem to find it..........
The car has some slight mods to it however where can the icm be?
It's not over the air-filter. Im thinking since the area seems modified and Ive been moving stuff around a loose wire around might be my problem.
I just noticed this last night any thoughts?

Sorry for the crappy pic.

Attached Images  

Last edited by jasonmp3; 08-16-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Site Moderator

2000 and 2001 do not have an ICM. Firing order is controlled by the ECU. What are your compression #'s?

Old 08-20-2010, 08:59 AM

@onepoint8tee
On the compression test I got around 140 +-2 for all, so at least I know its not messed up.

I rechecked the cam chain and its was off by one tooth in the other direction, I over compensated when I corrected the initial problem

before

after

comparison

So now the P0340 code is cleared .
Also the trimming is perfectly lined up.

But .......

I'm still getting these codes:

P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
P0304 Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected

I'm thinking that it might be my spark plugs for 3 reasons.
1. I bought 3 Bosch platnum 2 plugs 4308 (the last 3 in the store).
I replaced 3 of the plugs leaving 1 original (replace when the in stock), Im not getting a P0301 error only 02 03 and 04.

2. I got some oil into the plug chamber when removing the valve cover.

3. The plugs and the chain tensioner are the only things it changed before I got the codes.

Is it possible that I got the wrong type spark plugs for my car (clerk gave me the plugs for a different car)?

And if that's the case can the wrong plugs cause such misfires?

I drove the car around and its very sluggish, I could floor it and it will take 2 seconds to respond, and when it does its only going 10 mph.
Prior to me changing anything it was quick as a rabbit.

I've also noticed that if I clear the codes and keep the engine at over 2000 rpms I got no codes. However if I let it idle (under 1000 rpm) it idles rough and I get the misfire codes sometimes I even get a P0333 (knock sensor error)

Last edited by jasonmp3; 08-20-2010 at 09:22 AM.

Quick Reply: HELP!!, Did I screw up my engine (bent valves) ??