B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Help please! Cv joints

Old 01-22-2011, 11:33 PM
1st Gear
Default Help please! Cv joints

Me n my dad tried to replace the cv joints today. We got it all in and according to the directions we did everything right but as soon as I tried to drive it and got Higher into 1st gear it started making a loud ( I think it was a clicking sound and I think it started vibrating or bumping up and down but I didn't drive it long enough to find out in fear of braking something. Any idea what could possibly be wrong! We are alllllll out of ideas. Please help. Thanks

Old 01-23-2011, 12:46 AM
2nd Gear

Can you hear/feel anything when you jack the car up and spin the wheel by hand? And what exactly did you replace? Your front outers? Are you sure you got them back on the axle all the way, and are you sure that the axle bolt is properly torqued? Did you put too much pressure on the inner joint while you took the outer joint off, thus damaging it?

Old 01-23-2011, 10:22 AM
1st Gear

If u only replaced the outer the inners or inner may be bad also or the inner splined shaft might not be all the way in did u match up the old part to the new one. Is the part a cheep chineese knock off they get the dimensions wrong a lot I went through 6 front CV shafts before just buying German replacement

Old 01-23-2011, 11:01 AM
1st Gear

I replaced the front outer driver. It is a German part. Appeared to match up with the old one. I'm about to go spin the wheell now n find out

Old 01-23-2011, 11:05 AM
1st Gear

Btw the joint appeared to be all the way when we put it on the axel & we followed the two torque specs. Quick question thou would putting hose clamps instead of those shitty metal clamps for the boot throw something off?

Old 01-23-2011, 11:31 AM
Administrator

It should be fine as long as they're fully sealed

Old 01-23-2011, 11:49 AM
1st Gear

Found the problem . It seems that the inner boot / cv joint popped out somehow during? When u grab the transaxle u can mone the inner boot around. Do I just need to try n get it back in or is something screwed up

Old 01-23-2011, 12:02 PM
1st Gear

You can take the inner apart to rebuild it so if no damage was done on your drive you may be able to put it back together they're pretty hard to pull apart so there may have been something wrong to begin with

Old 01-23-2011, 12:08 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Devildub
You can take the inner apart to rebuild it so if no damage was done on your drive you may be able to put it back together they're pretty hard to pull apart so there may have been something wrong to begin with
Can I get just the inner boot & cv joint out without pulling out the outer one again so I don't hav to mess it up and just replace the inner boot?

Old 01-23-2011, 12:19 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by fast euro
Can I get just the inner boot & cv joint out without pulling out the outer one again so I don't hav to mess it up and just replace the inner boot?
You have to pull the outter out of the hub to get the inner out of the transmission and then fix/ replace with the whole shaft out of the car, what is what u shoud have done with the outter so as to not damage the inner. Carefully use a prybar to remove the inner from the transmission

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help please! Cv joints