B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

HID Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 03:55 PM
1st Gear
Default HID Conversion

Hey guys. I have read a lot of threads on this discussion, but none of them really discuss my headlights. All of the discussions I read talk about the '96-'99.5 headlights with the fog lights built into the valence on the bottom. Mine are integrated into the housing themselves. So my question is how do I get from my headlights to these? http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-2001-2002-AUDI-A4-S4-B5-XENON-DRIVER-LEFT-HEADLIGHT-PN-8D0-941-029-AR-/400510026219?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d404201eb&vxp=mtr Thank you guys so much!

Old 07-21-2013, 04:45 PM
2nd Gear

You perform the mod as usual but you just lose the function of your fogs unless you get bumper ones

Last edited by Pbcrazy; 07-21-2013 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Autocorrect
Old 07-21-2013, 04:51 PM
1st Gear

Thats what I thought.Thanks so much. Now this is the conversion I'm looking for, correct? Sorry I'm a pain, just want to be sure. Facelift Projector Headlights Conversion on a Pre-Facelift

Old 07-21-2013, 06:13 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah, that's one write up. This is the one I followed when I did mine: 2-Piece to 1-Piece Headlight Conversion - AudiFreaks Whatever you do, go slow and test fitment as you go. Cut too much and you're buying a new fender and paint. Take your time. I'd advise you to seal the bare metal where your cut line is with a clear rustoleum or clear coat.

You can either try to add in wires like in the link you posted, or you can buy these: Audi B5 A4 Quattro 1.8T > Lighting > Headlights > ES#86 A4 European Headlight Wiring Harness - A4UROWIRINGKIT-A

If you search part-outs or have a junkyard local, you can get the two harnesses for $5 each picked up or $20 shipped (What I did). Then you'd have to cut the old harness off and solder the new one on with heatshrink tubbing and all that so it looks OEM and is safe.

You're going to use the same turn signal harness from your 2-piece headlights. You'll see.

If you haven't searched for lights yet, E-Codes from eBay are your best bet unless you want super high quality OEM Valeo lights which will run you upwards of $600 new and probably $200+ used if you can find them. Audi B5 S4 2.7T > Lighting > Headlights > ES#458 Xenon Headlights - Pair - B5A4S4ECOXEN Or you can buy the OEM style Valeos you posted, but that's $350 for both and they'd have amber sidemarkers, not clear cornered. Valeos run D2S bulbs whereas the following e-codes run H7 bulbs. I think you can run H7 bulbs in Valeos, but stock is D2S and that's where my knowledge of that ends.

These
http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-01-AUDI-A4-S4-B5-1-PIECE-CHROME-ECODE-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHTS-/190798271702?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AAudi&hash=item2c6c7694d6&vxp=mtr are what most people who do this run. Obviously it's your car so run whatever you want, but if you put halo style headlights in, most enthusiasts will...not like it. These also appear to have the T10 city light--a small bulb that will actually replace your in-housing fog lights now, but can only be turned on with your headlights on, like now, and will not be bright enough in comparison to really be useful. You can wire them up so that they're on a separate switch or act like your parking lights (not your turn signals). I never did that, but it's possible.

If you're going to run HIDs in e-codes, I'd assume you will, you'll need an H7 sized bulb WITHOUT error eliminator or adapter (harness maybe, but only if you run 55 watt HIDs). You don't need those. Your best bet is to run 35 watt HIDs at 5000K (white) or 6000K (blue tint). If you run 55 watt HIDs, it will be brighter yeah, but you will also likely need to run a wiring harness to the battery to ensure the ballasts get enough power to fire the first time...it gets messy and having done it myself, I wouldn't do it again.

You can pick up high quality HIDs from H7: Morimoto Elite HID System - HID Systems from The Retrofit Source Inc They are a bit overkill and are basically the nicest you can get, but you may not notice the difference between them and another brand unless your headlights are super high quality as well.

Or you can, like most of us, buy from:

KrautoLED: 35W Digital Slim Line HID Kits | KrautoLED Awesome customer service
DDM: DDM Tuning 35W and 55W HID Kits I would not buy from again.
VVME: Search Results : VVME.COM, Tattoo Kit, Xenon HID Kit, DVR Surveillance System & Projector No idea..

Most of us would also suggest you pick up these reverse bulbs from Krauto: 1156/7506 Hi-Powered 5W CREE LED Bulbs (pair) | KrautoLED They are stupid bright and definitely worth it. Anyone who's bought them will agree. The owner is a cool Audi enthusiast who frequents this forum, too.

This is probably more information than you wanted, but these are the answers and basic recommendations you'd get from the majority of members here.

Last edited by Skythe; 07-23-2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:58 PM
1st Gear

Thank you very much! You have no idea how much you've helped me!

Old 07-22-2013, 09:57 AM
Administrator

To add to Skythe's post, buy your HID's from Emil at Krauto LED. I had VVME HID's in my first B5 and they were garbage. The ballasts went bad so fast that I couldn't get replacements fast enough. Plus it all comes from China on what must be the slowest ship ever built, because it takes 3+ weeks to get the stuff once you pay for it.

DDM is only slightly better, I had them in this car before I bought Krauto LED's. They like to give you a hard time about replacing stuff that goes bad. At least it comes from California instead of Hong Kong. Same Chinese parts, but they have built up an inventory in CA someplace.

Emil's stuff is top notch. Fast shipping, lifetime warranty no questions asked.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:07 PM
2nd Gear

What CCA4 said (the DIY link I posted is his so bug the hell out of him if you have questions) is spot on.

Buy the reverse lights, too. Do it. Mind will be blown. Will not regret.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:44 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Skythe
Buy the reverse lights, too. Do it. Mind will be blown. Will not regret.
Seriously do it, they are by far the best/brightest reverse lights I've ever seen (I've actually had lots of people ask me about them). The interior led kit is very nice too. Can't beat a lifetime warrenty, very good guy too

Old 07-22-2013, 11:03 PM
Administrator

Several of us - myself included - are driving rolling catalogs of Emil's stuff and wouldn't buy from anyone else. His quality is well-known and he's earned his rep for service.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:47 PM
1st Gear

Ok... Just went to order backup lights and ended up spending $70. Better be worth it...

Quick Reply: HID Conversion