B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

hoping someone more knowledgeable then me can help me haha

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 10:40 PM
1st Gear
Default hoping someone more knowledgeable then me can help me haha

ok so i have only been getting 4psi of boost so today i did a leak check and everything is fine, my cel is on due to a bad maf sensor, so is it that im in limp mode????
thanks in advance.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:20 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by twilliams83
ok so i have only been getting 4psi of boost so today i did a leak check and everything is fine, my cel is on due to a bad maf sensor, so is it that im in limp mode????
thanks in advance.
its very possible have you cleared the code? and have you tried to clean you mafs?

Old 11-21-2010, 11:45 PM
1st Gear

i cannot clear the code because i do not have a reader, i ordered my vag cable it is supposed to be here in a few days, ive cleaned the maf sensor twice, once with alcohol and today i bought the maf cleaner from autozone. i scanned it once with a friends scanner when my cel first came on, it read p0102, i erased it and it came back on within the next mile. i looked up the code it is the sensor so is that able to put the car in limp?

Old 11-22-2010, 12:17 AM
3rd Gear

i cannot clear the code because i do not have a reader, i ordered my vag cable it is supposed to be here in a few days, ive cleaned the maf sensor twice, once with alcohol and today i bought the maf cleaner from autozone. i scanned it once with a friends scanner when my cel first came on, it read p0102, i erased it and it came back on within the next mile. i looked up the code it is the sensor so is that able to put the car in limp?
if its the only code i guess it did put it in limp mode.. is the car running rich or lean

OH wait unplug the maf right now and start it up tell me how it runs than!

Old 11-22-2010, 12:53 AM
1st Gear

ok im gunna sound really dumb
but how will i know if its running rich or lean?
i unplugged it for about two weeks, when i cleaned it with alcohol and it failed, it still boosted 4 psi.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:20 AM
3rd Gear

ok im gunna sound really dumb
but how will i know if its running rich or lean?
i unplugged it for about two weeks, when i cleaned it with alcohol and it failed, it still boosted 4 psi.
if it sputters with smoke, its rich or burning oil...

if it sputters and tries to die but no smoke it could be lean...

If the tailpipe appears "wet" inside and you touch it and it smells like unburnt gasoline you're either really rich or have a spark issue.

If the rod blows a hole through the block then it's too lean, if your plugs foul within 10 feet then it's too rich.

you can also check your spark plugs if there too black and have crap all over them the motor is running too rich

or you can get one of these =D

http://zeitronix.com/

Old 11-22-2010, 06:47 PM
1st Gear

No sputtering at all.
Im gunna check the spark plugs tonight
Im hoping to get a new maf soon so i can be done with it hA

Old 11-22-2010, 07:56 PM
3rd Gear

Don't just jump for a bad MAF for a P0102. It's a common mistake. Be sure you have no vacuum leaks and that your throttle body is clean before condemning the MAF. MAFs typically fail with a HIGH reading. P0102 is for a LOW circuit reading, which can indicate other issues as well as the MAF.

You really need a VAGcom to prevent you from spending a whole lotta money on unnecessary parts.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:29 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Tweaked
Don't just jump for a bad MAF for a P0102. It's a common mistake. Be sure you have no vacuum leaks and that your throttle body is clean before condemning the MAF. MAFs typically fail with a HIGH reading. P0102 is for a LOW circuit reading, which can indicate other issues as well as the MAF.

You really need a VAGcom to prevent you from spending a whole lotta money on unnecessary parts.

ya i have a vag cable coming, it says it will be here anytime from tommorow to december 1st (goddam holidays), the guy i bought it from said he had just had a new throttle body put in, but who knows he lied about other things, what do you recomend tweaked?

Old 11-23-2010, 06:53 PM
3rd Gear

ya i have a vag cable coming, it says it will be here anytime from tommorow to december 1st (goddam holidays), the guy i bought it from said he had just had a new throttle body put in, but who knows he lied about other things, what do you recomend tweaked?
I recommend checking for vacuum leaks first. Also, the throttle body is easy to remove and inspect, it won't hurt to look. A film of gook built up around the bottom or top of the t.b. will cause idle issues or funky readings. It's a good place to start. Next, adapt, the t.b. If you are sure you are free of boost leaks, vacuum leaks, and the t.b. is clean, then you likely have a bad MAF.

Quick Reply: hoping someone more knowledgeable then me can help me haha