B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

How Bizarre

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 07:12 PM
2nd Gear
Default How Bizarre

On saturday my friends and I decided to do a few little quick races. Bench racing really. One friend has a taurus, another with a diamante, and another with a pontiac grad prix gt. So I killed the taurus, whooped the grand prix, and surprisingly barely beat the diamante. Need less to say my audi did quite a bit of work. I let her rest/ idle for about 5 minutes before I shut her down for the night. Cool everything is alright, the next morning I get in my car and start to drive off. I drive about 200 feet and come to a stop, there are a ton of cars coming so I wait awhile. All of a sudden my rpms start rapidly bouncing from about 1200-500. I mean rapidly, as fast as you can move your finger back in forth. So im like sketch, then the needle bounces and holds at about 1500 rpms then slowly falls to 900 and stays steady. No cars are finally coming so I pull out and then shift to second then to third. Im just cruising and then its like I have no power, I push the gas down slowly and nothing happens then the car jerks forward. I drive about 10 more miles home with no other problems at all. So this morning I get in the car starts fine I let it idle for about 5 minutes hoping it would do something, which it did. I drove to school about 15 miles completly fine. After school I get in the car, dont let it warm up and just go. Everything seems fine. I come to a stop and then make a turn. This time im just in first gear going through a turn, again under very low load and the same thing happens. I push the gas and nothing. I hit the clutch and shift to second and it continues, almost no power. I shift to third now and get on the highway and drive home fine no problem. In my head im sure its missfireing. So I go to shucks to get the codes pulled because the CEL has been on ever since I put the test pipe on. I plug it in and all I get for a code is the 02 sensor due to the testpipe. So now im like wtf, what was that. Ill try letting the car warm up before I take off tommorow and see if it will help. In the meantime do you guys have any suggestions for the odd symptoms. All I can think of but rule out since its happening at low rpms and not high are the coil packs and plugs. The only other thing would be the ICM but it seems like it would always be messed up but it only gets messed up within like 30 seconds of driving. Oh yea the plugs are autolites gapped to .028.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:46 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: How Bizarre

Evening bump...

Old 02-12-2008, 01:50 AM
5th Gear

first thing you should do is get those autolites out of there

why? this is why- https://www.audiforums.com/m_147151/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

Old 02-12-2008, 01:55 AM
3rd Gear

sorry dude, can't figure that one out right now. was there low power at higher rpms (clutch slipping?), or was everything else normal, just no power? Other than ignition related (and I'd personally put in some copper NGKs, although I highly doubt that's the cause of the problem)... Could it be N75 going bad, MAF going bad, turbo kickin in and out maybe wastegate stuck/not working, or fuel pressure regulator/fuel pump/fuel filter? How do the vacuum #s and boost #s look on the boost gage?

Old 02-12-2008, 02:21 AM
1st Gear

loss of power at low speed is spark plug related. when you get to around 2500-3000 RPMs, its firing often enough to overcome the bad plug. so yeah, id say check your plugs.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:53 AM

sounds spark related...now that you are chipped you should be running a BRK7E w a gap of .28

that should fix your problem...gl!

Old 02-12-2008, 12:49 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks for the input guys, I got a few plans of things to do after school. First go to shucks and get some NGK BKR7E's and gap those to .028. Then im gonna trying cleaning out the MAF, Got any suggestions for cleaners. Or is any solvent fine? Im also gonna see if I can fix the stupid non fouler to actually do its job. Would I have ill affects if I litterally welded shut the small opening of the second fouler so almost no exhuast actually goes to the 02 or will I still get a cel?

Old 02-12-2008, 01:16 PM
5th Gear

you want some air to get in so dont weld it, just get another non-fouler and stack them to raise it up higher out of the exhaust flow. as for the MAF, autozone has electronic parts cleaner, thats what you want. it leaves no residue and dries up by itself

Old 02-12-2008, 04:31 PM
1st Gear

That same problem happened to a '04 Audi a6 a friend of mine has. His engine had rev issues especially at cold starts. He tried everything, cleaning and replacing the MAF, trying to get codes, spark plugs etc. The codes told him he had a cam problem on the right bank, I think it told him if it was the intake or exhaust cam too. Eventually he replaced the cam sensor for the problem shaft and the problem went away with no issues since.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:13 PM
2nd Gear

Update: So after isntalling the plugs I was hoping that this morning would be different, but it wasnt. I let the car warm up/idle for about 4-5 minutes then started my drive. I live in a cauldasack so I make a complete u-turn at the end of the street. I start to take the turn and the rpms become irradic, then about half way through the turn the car stalls. So I start it and drive all the way to school with no issue like always. Then after school, still about the same temp as this morning (40*), I decide after it has idle for about 30 seconds to raise the rpms to about 1500 then to 2000 and hold for about 15 seconds. After this I take off and have no issues like I usually do. I go to the same stop that makes my rpms bounce and mess up and nothing car purred then drove fine. So I guess ill try it tomorrow morning and see how that goes. In light of this evidence does any one have any suggestions?

Quick Reply: How Bizarre