B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

How important are these parts in a timing belt job??

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 01:15 PM
1st Gear
Default How important are these parts in a timing belt job??

Im trying to decide if i should get the more expensive timing belt kit or the normal one:

Audi A4 Timing Belt - Audi A4 Timing Belt Kit - 2.8 Liter
Audi A4 Timing Belt - Audi A4 Timing Belt Kit - Enhanced

The difference is just these 3 parts:

Hydraulic Tensioning Damper
Relay Lever
Front Motor Mount / Stop

seems like alot of kits have the tensioning damper

How necessary are those three things? worth the extra hundred bucks?

edit: also, has anyone used this kit? does the water pump have the metal impeller? or do they all have that?

Last edited by MillerDecaXC; 01-05-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Administrator

The front motor mount is commonly called a "snub mount" and isn't really part of the timing system. It's included in the kit because you might as well replace it while you're doing the timing belt to avoid duplicating labor. The hydraulic damper should always be replaced, but i'm not sure what "relay lever" they're talkin about. You can definitely get a snub mount and damper separately for less than $100.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Administrator

The relay lever is on the 2.8 - it takes the push from the hydraulic tensioner and translates it over to the tensioning roller. It is only a simple cast metal piece and seems hard to think it'd fatigue enough to fail but since you're in there and the engine will be destroyed if part of the system DOES fail, I'd just do it along with the rest of the kit. As CCA4 said, the hydraulic tensioner absolutely gets changed. The snub also - you might as well. It quells fore-aft engine rock, and is a pain in the *** to change without opening the front of the car. Since you'll have it open, and an OEM snub is under $7, do it.

BTW, you can save a pile by getting your kit at Volvo Parts, BMW Parts, European Car Parts | FCPGroton.com - I just installed their kit a couple months back on my own car and am perfectly happy with it. Several other members bought it as well. I paid $193 shipped for it and the only thing it didn't include, which comes with most other kits, is G12 coolant. That's $26/gallon at a dealership. Add it on and I paid $219 for everything, vs the much higher cost at Blau and ECS and it uses similar, quality parts.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:34 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
The relay lever is on the 2.8 - it takes the push from the hydraulic tensioner and translates it over to the tensioning roller. It is only a simple cast metal piece and seems hard to think it'd fatigue enough to fail but since you're in there and the engine will be destroyed if part of the system DOES fail, I'd just do it along with the rest of the kit. As CCA4 said, the hydraulic tensioner absolutely gets changed. The snub also - you might as well. It quells fore-aft engine rock, and is a pain in the *** to change without opening the front of the car. Since you'll have it open, and an OEM snub is under $7, do it.

BTW, you can save a pile by getting your kit at Volvo Parts, BMW Parts, European Car Parts | FCPGroton.com - I just installed their kit a couple months back on my own car and am perfectly happy with it. Several other members bought it as well. I paid $193 shipped for it and the only thing it didn't include, which comes with most other kits, is G12 coolant. That's $26/gallon at a dealership. Add it on and I paid $219 for everything, vs the much higher cost at Blau and ECS and it uses similar, quality parts.
i cant find it, are you talking about this kit?
Audi/Volkswagen Timing Belt Kit (A4 A6 Passat V6 2.8)

i was looking at that kit earlier, it doesnt have the tensioner dampner. or snub mount, thermostat, serpentine belt, etc

Old 01-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Administrator

What are the year and engine of your car? That'll help me find the kit for you.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Administrator

for what its worth, I just did my timing belt 2 weeks ago with the FCP kit and couldn't be happier with it.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:03 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by imthedevil
what are the year and engine of your car? That'll help me find the kit for you.
2001 2.8 v6

Old 01-06-2012, 02:59 PM
1st Gear

+1 for cheap kits! spent about 200$ on mine minues the liquid gold G12

IF you have the front of the car in your lap, just change the parts

Old 01-06-2012, 03:56 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

i concur with everything said so far

a lot of very good advice in this thread

Old 01-24-2012, 02:00 AM
1st Gear

new to theses cats but from exp i always replace the tensioner when i replace the belt

Quick Reply: How important are these parts in a timing belt job??