B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Are hubcentric spacers necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 10:17 PM
2nd Gear
Default Are hubcentric spacers necessary?

I just got a set of 18" 8.5" asa rims. I drive a 2001 a4 1.8tq. Is it necessary for me to buy the hubcentric spacers? I've looked around and some say yes and some say no? I''ve also read that spacers can mess with tire wear. I have a set of V-maxx coilovers that I am getting ready to install. I bought the rims used so I'm not too sure of the offset. Thanks again guys!

Old 03-21-2010, 11:18 PM
1st Gear

i bought my 18x8 used from ImTheDevil and he told me to use them so it doesnt move around the hub when driving or putting the rims on (ive been told its very hard to do it with with bolt holes moving in all directions)...i would measure the inside circle of the rims of where the hub would go in and find a place who sells them and put them on...i dont know about tread ware but im guessing that it could mess that up and when the coils on post up pictures of before and after shots

Old 03-21-2010, 11:51 PM
Administrator

To the OP, do you mean hubcentric rings? The rings that mount on the hubs to center tge wheels like tware is talking about? If so, then yes get them - it's possible to mount the wheels off-center without them which will give you a vibration. Hubcentric spacers are different - they're wheel spacers that you use to change the effective offset of the wheels. I am using them on my wheels since the offset (+42) is too high to fit right on the car. I am using 5mm spacers to move the wheels outward (for an effective offset of +37) so the tires don't rub on the suspension. 5mm spacers are thin enough that I'm able to still use the hubcentric rings with the wheels. If I needed thick spacers (15mm or more), I'd need hubcentric spacers instead, which are spacers that incorporate the hubcentric rings. You shouldn't need spacers for those wheels as long as the offset is somewhere around +38 or below - it's probably stamped on the inside of the wheel somewhere. But definitely use the rings to help you mount them properly.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:27 AM
2nd Gear

Alright, sounds good. Thank you guys again! I will hopefully get the v-maxx's on by friday. Oh yeah, here's a pic of the rims I got.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...k+w%2FMach+Lip

I'll post some before and after pics when it's all said and done. Anything I really need to worry about when doing the coilover's? Looks pretty straight forward. I'm not looking forward to doing this ATP testpipe though...the bolts look pretty rough to get to and rusty as hell