B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Hydrolic/power steering leak- new cv axel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 01:28 PM
1st Gear
Default Hydrolic/power steering leak- new cv axel?

I bought my 2000 a4 just about a year ago and was told that I had a tear in my drivers side cv boot. As the temperatures outside dropped so did the hydrolic fluid. Just recently when the temperatures started getting warmer the leak stopped but now there is no fluid getting the to axel and it is making a humming noise when driving slow and turning like into a parking spot. Before I go forking over the money to have the axel replaced could this be fixed with just having the boot replaced? Would that stop the leaking or have I let it go too long and now the axel needs to be replaced? I was quoted a price of $317 for parts and labor to have one of the cv axel's replaced. Does that seem reasonable? I have no ability to do this myself.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:17 AM
1st Gear

sometimes u can fix the problem by just replacing the boot but it also depends because if you drove the car to the point where the metal parts inside the axle grinded up each other then it wouldnt be worth getting another boot... because even though the boot is new the axle inside can be worn... so i would just replace the whole axle if i were you tho but thats just my opinion

Old 04-28-2012, 08:38 AM
Administrator

You're talking about two different things. Hydraulic fluid implies power steering fluid. That's not related to the CV joint in any way. If you're leaking steering fluid, check the lines under the reservoir and inside the boots on the inner tie rid ends.

With the CV joint, the boot encloses the joint and keeps the axle grease inside. If the boot has been torn and you have been driving it for a year that way, rebuild the CV joint or replace the axle. You're beyond the point of being able to reliably fix it by replacing the boot. On top of that, you have to disassemble the joint to replace the boot, so why put an old joint back on? A joint rebuild kit is under $70 from FCP Groton, and through API here in my town I can get an axle for $72, so for a few extra bucks, I'd replace the axle if it was my car. One tip - use some blue thread locker on the inner axle bolts (which by the way require an 8mm triple-square bit to remove).

Old 04-29-2012, 09:53 AM
1st Gear

Well I took the car in to get inspected. Found that both boots were ripped and the axles were going bad so had to get them replaced. As for the power steering leak the place told me that could not see anywhere that it was leaking even though I explained to them how I have a puddle underneath the car in the morning but they still insisted that there is no leak. They did suggest that I get the engine steam cleaned because I may have a gasket that is leaking too. How is it that they are not finding the leak but I have a puddle under the car and I am continuously running out of the power steering fluid? Being that the cv boot was cracked could I have been leaking something else like grease out of the boot?

Old 04-29-2012, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Not if your PS fluid is disappearing. If the fluid isn't in the reservoir, and it's pooling under the car, it's leaking. Where under the car dies the puddle form? In the center, just inboard of the wheel, elsewhere? That'll help determine what's leaking.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:09 PM
1st Gear

if its leaking powersteering fluid its usually the resevoir lines or the rack... mine is leaking from the rack... havent really got a chance to replace it yet

Old 05-01-2012, 02:52 AM
1st Gear

i "had" a ps leak, at my rack seals. i kept running out of fluid in random places and was tired of having to go to audi for their crap, so i flushed it with atf.. been going for a few months now without losing a drop. if your rack's already shot its worth a try?

Old 05-01-2012, 09:01 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ou2mame
i "had" a ps leak, at my rack seals. i kept running out of fluid in random places and was tired of having to go to audi for their crap, so i flushed it with atf.. been going for a few months now without losing a drop. if your rack's already shot its worth a try?
my rack is leaking at the seals too... both seals but mainly at the passenger one... it gushes fluids out at full lock lmao. i tried the two different bottles of "power steering stop leak" and it helped for about a week or two then it was all out leaking again.. i have to fill up about every 3 days... so any ATF or what?

Old 05-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Administrator

Don't even bother - replace the rack. It's screwed.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:56 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
Don't even bother - replace the rack. It's screwed.
lmao yea thats what i figured... the local parts store sells a oem one for 325... u know where i can get a better deal?

Quick Reply: Hydrolic/power steering leak- new cv axel?