B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

I got 4 Codes and Car Isn't Starting - Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 06:19 PM
1st Gear
Angry I got 4 Codes and Car Isn't Starting - Help!!

I was driving down the freeway and the pedal was losing power and I looked at the oil pressure and it was low. I pulled off the freeway. It was smoking out of the tailpipe.

Once the car was below 1000 rpm the car died.....and the turbo was red hot and glowing. I trailered it home and now its not starting....it turns over fine and builds 20 lbs of oil pressure on the oil pressure gauge but doesnt start.

I scanned the car and the codes that popped up are as follows:

P1476 - auxiliary emissions?
P0328 - knock sensor?
P1127 - air fuel mixture system too rich
P0303 - cylinder misfire

I am not as experienced as alot of you guys with these cars but i know that the systen running rich probably caused the plug to go bad and thus the misfire code.

i just dont know why the knock sensor and the emissions code are causing the car and everything to not start.

Let me know what you guys think.....I love this car and need to get it running, if you guys need any more information i will respond quickly just let me know. Thanks.

Last edited by cjzerocool; 02-19-2009 at 06:21 PM. Reason: misspelled something
Old 02-19-2009, 08:46 PM
4th Gear

Could be that you blew a hose off enough to cause a huge boost leak and now the ecu isn't seeing enough readings at the maf to allow it to be started.

P1476 - EVAP Emission Contr.LDP Circ Malfunction/Insufficient Vacuum

Could be Gas Cap o maybe a EVap valve that has gone bad/cracked.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:42 PM
1st Gear

So you mean like a gas cap where you put the gas in? And where is the evap valve?

Old 02-19-2009, 10:41 PM
1st Gear
Default hey man

no way its a gas cap or you would code a p0440 everytime.. yea he means the tank cap but thats not it cuz you would get the small evap leak code. does sound like a huge boost leak tho. check for crack on the hoses on the turbo.. sorry i couldnt be more help. good luck

Old 02-19-2009, 10:44 PM
1st Gear

how many hoses run to the turbo?

Old 02-19-2009, 11:56 PM
Site Moderator

P1127
Long Term Fuel Trim mult.,Bank1 System too Rich
This is the only code that could be contributing to the non start condition, i would go with Mike and say you have a large intake/vacuum line broken or fallen off.
The misfire can be a random concequence of a vacuum leak, in fact if the engine ran longer you would probably have more misfires stored.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:09 AM
1st Gear

I also got a cylinder misfire code. That showed up and so did Turbo Underboost. I have no idea what either are. Any help is appreciated. I will be going to my Audi Dealership tomorrow I think and i will ask about these problems and report back.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:50 AM
Site Moderator

Like auditech said, the P1127 is your offender and the rest are likely residual symptoms.

Turbo underboost usually = leak. You're losing air and sending too much fuel in your mix. Check all the hoses you can for cracks and splits. And make sure nothing has come loose.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:57 PM
1st Gear
Red face

So I need to check it out thoroughly for vacuum leaks and fix any and all. Get new plugs for the cylinders.

I was thinking I would have my guy disconnect the catalytic converter so i could try starting the car without it possibly killing the engine. Cause if it runs without it connect and does with it connected than it may be that the cat is bad too.

does this sound ok?

Old 02-20-2009, 03:39 PM
1st Gear

so i finally decided to by the car from my friend and join the expensive, complicated world of Audi......against my better judgement too. But its done and cant be undone......lol

lets just hope the diagnosis goes well and its a simple fix.

Quick Reply: I got 4 Codes and Car Isn't Starting - Help!!