B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

I know it's only October but...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 09:24 PM
3rd Gear
Default I know it's only October but...

What do you guys do to prepare your car for the cold winter months? Aside from the normal things everybody does to winterize their vehicles, what do you do? I'm ordering some Green Diamond tires in the next couple days thanks to I'mTheDevil suggesting them to me a couple months ago. I've been looking for some all weather mats, thinking about getting some splash guards, thule roof rack for going into the mountains with my brother. I have the winter package, so I'm excited for winter.

Also anybody know how to fix heated seats? I bought the car with them not working and I'd love to get those up and running.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:52 PM
3rd Gear

Replace wiper blades.

Check the Spare Tire

Stock up on windshield washer solvent-you'll be surprised how much you use.

Carry an ice-scraper.

Carry gloves, boots, blankets, flares, a small shovel, sand or kitty litter, tire chains, a flash light, and a cell phone.

Inspect all lights and bulbs; replace burned out bulbs

Never understood why my father always did this.....since becoming a father myself....now I know

Old 10-05-2009, 09:55 PM
2nd Gear

Windshield washer solvent... same as the washer fluid? The stuff that sprays out the nozzles up front?

Old 10-05-2009, 09:56 PM
3rd Gear

you say to-may-to I say to-mah-to.....yea same thing

Old 10-06-2009, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Try the Rain-X stuff - I started using it last year and it seems to take slush and frozen spray off better. ObnoxiousDrunk is on it too - that's good stuff to carry (I'm a dad too). I also carry a basic toolbox, spare bulbs, and those hand warmer packets that go in your gloves, as well as a real Jack. The stock scissor Jack is a joke, even moreso on a slick road. I also put several coats of Rain-X on all the glass and lights. Even freezing rain won't stick - it'll end up as slush at the base of the windows. Cuts down on scraping time a lot.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:49 AM
2nd Gear

Nothing different than any other time of the year, except making sure to carry the scraper and stuff. A foldable shovel and a blanket are both good ideas - ones that I keep telling myself I should practice, but never do. People always make WAY too big a deal of "winterizing" their cars, and list all this crap like replacing windshield wipers as if they don't mind if their wipers are bad the rest of the year.

Also, I wouldn't buy those Green Diamond tires, personally. Go with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus (the "Plus" is important) all seasons or a well-known snow tire like the Blizzak WS-60. Just, of course, make sure to switch the snow tires out for regular tires after the season if you go that way.

Last edited by dragonrage; 10-06-2009 at 08:53 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:35 PM
Legal Moderator

switch to 15" wheels with all seasons. thats about it for me. but i usually let it warm up a long time. like i go inside and take a shower while its warming up. it helps with my synchros being shitty. o yeah, turn on seat warmers. love them bitches. i already am using them. its getting below freezing already up here in favre land

Old 10-06-2009, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Nothing at all.

The car runs better with the 60-70 degree weather tho.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:37 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Nothing different than any other time of the year, except making sure to carry the scraper and stuff. A foldable shovel and a blanket are both good ideas - ones that I keep telling myself I should practice, but never do. People always make WAY too big a deal of "winterizing" their cars, and list all this crap like replacing windshield wipers as if they don't mind if their wipers are bad the rest of the year.

Also, I wouldn't buy those Green Diamond tires, personally. Go with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus (the "Plus" is important) all seasons or a well-known snow tire like the Blizzak WS-60. Just, of course, make sure to switch the snow tires out for regular tires after the season if you go that way.
Hmmm. What's your reasoning behind that statement? Is it because they aren't very well known? I've done a lot of research on them and they seem very good, I'mTheDevil knows someone who has them and is blown away. They're "all season" tires technically, but surpass any other winter tire out there.

I already use the Rain X on all my windows Devil! I just put a fresh coat on the other day and it didn't rain for days, I was pissed hahaha. I love driving down the highway in a downpour without my wipers on. Good idea putting it on the headlights though, I'll have to do that.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:18 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by dragonrage

it's never "WAY too big a deal" when you find yourself wishing you had any of them. I always replace my blades after the winter no matter the condition. And it's always just a suggestion. BLizzak's are good.....but not the Holy Grail when it comes to winter tires either, far as I know there is nothing wrong with Green Diamonds.

Then again opinions are like ********......everyone's got one!

Quick Reply: I know it's only October but...