B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

I need a suspension setup ASAP!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 05:55 PM
Default I need a suspension setup ASAP!?

To repeat myself, both of my back springs are cracked.

OK so I brought my car to a local shop to price out installing coilovers or a mismatch setup.. I really wanted that stasis coilover package from achtuning for $1055 but they are on backorder. The guy at DirectTire wants to put in an eibach setup? That is garbage right? From what I know they are bouncy as hell and you always see ricers bouncing around in them with tilted wheels because they can't adjust the camber. He also quoted me around $2000 for the H&R coilover parts and install... I need some advice guys!

Old 09-30-2008, 07:52 PM
5th Gear
Old 09-30-2008, 07:57 PM
Site Moderator

Got a price range? Is $2k installed a good figure?
You can never go wrong with H&R stuff

Old 09-30-2008, 08:08 PM
3rd Gear

Eibachs are definitely not garbage! I personally prefer the ride of the Eibachs matched with Bilstein heavy-duty replacement shocks over the H&Rs. The Eibachs don't squat as much in the rear and they are more compliant than the H&Rs for daily-driver duty.

No matter what you choose, you'll need heavy-duty upgraded shocks. Using stock, cheap, or worn-out shocks is what gives a bouncy ride. In other words, buy Koni or Bilstein and avoid Monroe, Gabriel, and other garbage sold in cheap parts stores.

A setup of Eibachs or H&Rs and new Bilstein H.D.s will run you less than $800 (static, unadjustable drop). If you want adjustable coil-overs, expect about $1000 + shocks in parts.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by onepoint8tee
Got a price range? Is $2k installed a good figure?
You can never go wrong with H&R stuff
IDK? Was wondering if that is steep for H&R street sport coilover install? I'm sure they are getting them for under $1100. Are there other parts aside from the kit that drive the price up? And if not it comes out to 6or7 hours for two guys?

Old 09-30-2008, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tweaked
Eibachs are definitely not garbage! I personally prefer the ride of the Eibachs matched with Bilstein heavy-duty replacement shocks over the H&Rs. The Eibachs don't squat as much in the rear and they are more compliant than the H&Rs for daily-driver duty.

No matter what you choose, you'll need heavy-duty upgraded shocks. Using stock, cheap, or worn-out shocks is what gives a bouncy ride. In other words, buy Koni or Bilstein and avoid Monroe, Gabriel, and other garbage sold in cheap parts stores.

A setup of Eibachs or H&Rs and new Bilstein H.D.s will run you less than $800 (static, unadjustable drop). If you want adjustable coil-overs, expect about $1000 + shocks in parts.
Do you have any pics with the eibachs? You really think that is a good option? It is $500 cheaper... Ok in snow?

Old 09-30-2008, 09:08 PM
3rd Gear

I haven't driven my own in the snow... but I've driven a friends lowered A6 in the snow. It doesn't affect it's abilities unless you plan on off-roading it or driving in deep snow, in which case, you should own a Jeep anyway! My car was a DD for the previous owner so he could keep his Boxster in the garage over the winter. I have a set of Blizzacks waiting for winter... we shall see.

http://www.putfile.com/pic/8183803

Sorry for the crappy pic. It's the best I have right now. One day, I'll wax it and take more!

Current setup: Eibach lowering springs, Bilstein H.D. shocks, Hotckis H-Sport front and rear sway bars, PureMS rear endlinks, 16" stock rims with ContiCrap tires. Responsive, yet liveable for DD use.

Last edited by Tweaked; 09-30-2008 at 09:11 PM. Reason: PutFile sucks balls.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:13 PM

I haven't driven my own in the snow... but I've driven a friends lowered A6 in the snow. It doesn't affect it's abilities unless you plan on off-roading it or driving in deep snow, in which case, you should own a Jeep anyway! My car was a DD for the previous owner so he could keep his Boxster in the garage over the winter. I have a set of Blizzacks waiting for winter... we shall see.

[IMAGE]http://img2.putfile.com/main/5/14300364583.jpg[/IMAGE]

Sorry for the crappy pic. It's the best I have right now. One day, I'll wax it and take more!

Current setup: Eibach lowering springs, Bilstein H.D. shocks, Hotckis H-Sport front and rear sway bars, PureMS rear endlinks, 16" stock rims with ContiCrap tires. Responsive, yet liveable for DD use.
Haha....I do have a jeep but the wife drives that. I'm **** about the Audi so I drive it all the time even though I have a way shorter commute. I even park like an *** at work takin up two spots when I used to rag on people that do that. But people are so ignorant when they open their doors these days

Old 09-30-2008, 09:15 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ryanylva
Do you have any pics with the eibachs? You really think that is a good option? It is $500 cheaper... Ok in snow?
And yes, I believe it's a good option. Eibachs and Bilsteins would be my first mod if it hadn't already been done by the previous owner. Add the H-Sport Sways, and it really transforms the ride.

If I was racing my ride, showing it, or not living in New England, I might consider adjustable coil-overs. But, this setup works for me.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:19 PM

And yes, I believe it's a good option. Eibachs and Bilsteins would be my first mod if it hadn't already been done by the previous owner. Add the H-Sport Sways, and it really transforms the ride.

If I was racing my ride, showing it, or not living in New England, I might consider adjustable coil-overs. But, this setup works for me.
Thanks alot for the input bro