B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

IAT sensor short to ground,

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 12:38 PM
1st Gear
Default IAT sensor short to ground,

got the code p0112 short to ground on the IAT just wondering if this would put the car into limp mode, i changed the sensor still getting same reading 143 degrees, i checked the resistance on the harness, and im getting infinite reading one way, and 15.213 the other way, i read somewhere its the ECM, and i fried it from the short, just wondering if anybody has any ideas? before i take it to vanderhaydens on Wednesday,

Old 10-06-2012, 02:58 PM
Legal Moderator

yes high iats will put you in limp mode. the only thing i can think of, besides the obvious grounded wire, is if you recently unplugged your harness and plugged it back in. there is a plug that goes to one of the solenoids (n249?) that has the same style plug as the iat sensor and it could easily mistaken. ive made the mistake myself

Old 10-06-2012, 07:57 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by redline380
yes high iats will put you in limp mode. the only thing i can think of, besides the obvious grounded wire, is if you recently unplugged your harness and plugged it back in. there is a plug that goes to one of the solenoids (n249?) that has the same style plug as the iat sensor and it could easily mistaken. ive made the mistake myself
there was a motor swap done on my car recently, and im running out of options, when you say n249 the DV is what your talking about? my harness isn't spliced from the ECM. ill have a look in the morning around the throttle body, the wire colors to IAT are both the same green with yellow line.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:23 AM
1st Gear

well heres a update, fixed the IAT sensor turns out all the connections were backwards, the ones that are the same and im now out of limp mode. but now im getting the (17536 - Fuel Trim; Bank 1 (Mult): System too Lean ) fault after a long drive, and it kicks it back into limp mode.

heres what vag com says, my mass air flow sensor is good, at idle its about 3.16gs~, i know that my oxygen sensors are gone, b1s1 and b1s2, and im not sure about the fuel injectors. i just recently for the unitronic stage 1 chip and gapped the plugs to .028in maybe that has sum thing to do with it? i attached a log of the chip working and one in soft limp mode MAF to RPM to injection timing.

Possible Symptoms

Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) active

Possible Causes

Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor faulty
Oxygen Sensor Control faulty
Oxygen Sensor(s) faulty
Fuel Injector(s) faulty

Possible Solutions

Check Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor
Check Oxygen Sensor Control
Check Oxygen Sensor(s)
Check Fuel Injector(s)

Unitronic stage 1
Soft limp mode

Last edited by moneyfresh; 10-08-2012 at 12:31 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Your primary O2 being shot will do it.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:46 AM
1st Gear

when u say primary is that the one just after turbo, and what is the second one good for?

Old 10-08-2012, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Primary is just after the turbo (the "first" sensor). It helps with fuel trim. The secondary is after the cat - its readings are compared to those from the primary to determine the functionality of the cat.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:20 PM
1st Gear

alright thanks, ill order the new o2 sensor tomorrow. one more thing, past couple days my ive been having the "Secondary Air Injection System: Incorrect Flow Detected" problem, i took a look at mine and the previous owner tried to fix with some gasket maker, but its been peeling off and finally worn out, i hear the pump running when i start after siting overnight, and fuses are good by ecu, hoses look good as well, ill dig around for some more answers but im not sure. thanks again,

Old 10-08-2012, 03:55 PM
Administrator

SAP flow is measured by the secondary O2 sensor. If you're right about that being dead, then that's probably the cause of the code.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:54 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
SAP flow is measured by the secondary O2 sensor. If you're right about that being dead, then that's probably the cause of the code.

removed the SAP and cleaned the gasket maker away from outside and in, replaced pins with screws for better seal, and plugged in before i put back in, turned on blower is blowing strong, and i noticed one hose wasn't put in correctly, put everything back in after having a hell of a time getting the top 10mm nut in, turned on still idles high but no more blower noise, and rpms go back to normal after 20-30 seconds, ill buy both o2 sensors and hopefully that fixes it., check back in couple days,

Quick Reply: IAT sensor short to ground,