B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Illuminated LED Door Sills....? (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 11:28 PM
1st Gear
Question Illuminated LED Door Sills....? (pics)

Hey guys

I was looking on BMW's website and all of their new models come with blue illuminated door sills. It was like love at first sight for me. So I thought, "Hmmmm, I want some for my A4." So, I went searching through ebay hoping to find some LED door sills for my B5...

To my luck, I found a seller who makes them and I just sent him a message asking him about them. They look ok as long as you can take out the stock ones in my car (chrome Audi sills) and I am hoping that they will look great if I do buy them.

Although I did send him a message with questions, I thought that I'd ask you guys too? Have any of you guys purchased or seen these before? Do any of you have custom ones? I want some SOOO bad so I hope these work out. They look ok, but tell me what you guys think...

Here is the listing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-...1%7C240%3A1318

Here are the BMW sills:

Old 02-05-2009, 12:01 AM
1st Gear

"Polished Stainless Steel BLUE LED Door Sill Plates for your AUDI A4 B5"

"Includes wiring to light up "AUDI" in RED."

I'm confused, are they blue or red? If they are red, then they may actually look good.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:05 AM
1st Gear

I have seen those but in Audi form on ebay. I will try to find them and post a link. I know that they are out there. They were pretty cheap too

Old 02-05-2009, 12:08 AM
1st Gear
Old 02-05-2009, 12:16 AM
2nd Gear

nice!! thanks pretty cool.

But i wonder how they would look in, ya know?

any pics?

Old 02-05-2009, 12:35 AM
Administrator

They're either gonna look killer or really cheesy. I have a theory with mods like this - there is no middle ground. They're either awesome or really shitty. Hopefully they look good if you order them. If you do, be sure to post pics of the results - it's definitely got the potential to be really cool. I only wonder whether the "metal" finish is going to scuff and scrape up quickly.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:04 AM

^ i agree

Old 02-05-2009, 03:41 PM
1st Gear

Heres what I sent to the seller:

Dear dsximports,

I am interested in these sills for my 2001 b5 A4, but I have a few questions that I hope you can help me out with.

1 - How do you install these? do you pull the original door sills out and put these there?

2 - What color do these light up? It says blue and red, so which is it? I want red because my interior is red, so I hope they light up red.

3 - How do you wire these? Where do they plug into? Do they turn on when the door opens or do the headlights have to be on? Are these always on or do they turn off when the doors close?

4 - Also, can you get a picture of these turned on? I wanna see the final result before I spend the $50.

Thanks again for taking the time to read though my questions and hopefully you can answer them as much to your knowledge. I will only buy if I know they are perfect and dont look cheap. I hope to talk with you soon!

Thanks again

Heres what he said back today:

Hi , here are answers to your questions:

They attach using supplied 3M tape (already stuck to the backside so you just peel and stick onto any CLEAN surface).
They do light up RED
Most people wire them to the door light wire in the door jam meaning they will light up when you open your door. You can however run them up to ANY wires and have them light up with Brakes, Reverse, lol, anything.
I am sorry but I do not have a turned-on pic yet.

Thanks very much
RUS

Well, $50 is a lot for something like this but I think I might order them, not sure yet.

But again, if there is ANYONE out there with these or something close to them them please post, I would still like to see these in the car...

Thanks guys, keep in touch

Old 02-05-2009, 04:30 PM
2nd Gear

stick on? eh. im skeptical... think they will rip off with going in and out so often. and snow and ice and rocks and everything ?

idk i guess the lip spoilers are held on with 3m tape too and they stay put it seems. give it a try and let us know!

another way is to look at the sellers sales and just e-mail someone who has bought one of them and ask for a pic

Old 02-05-2009, 06:20 PM
3rd Gear

I'd take the stock ones and modify the audi part w/ my own. You could probably cut out the letters carefully put a layer of red vinyl below the cut out w/ a ring of led's somewhere in there and then fill w/ like a clear epoxy or resin carefully. Bet it would look sweet.

Quick Reply: Illuminated LED Door Sills....? (pics)