B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Interior audio beeping @ start up

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 12:58 AM
1st Gear
Default Interior audio beeping @ start up

just got my daughter her first car, a beautifully conditioned 2000 A4 2.8 Quattro with 110,000 mi from one owner. i moved it yesterday and accidently triggered the alarm, i think from the panic button when turning on the ignition. No big deal till today when she yells at me for "wrecking her car", WTF?
First I know these cars have some quirks to them including a portion of the dash LED looking kinda scrambbled. The passenger door symbol indicates open but the door is not. She says since I moved it the drivers door symbol/indicator now stays on, worst (in her mind) the beeping stays on continous for over a minute or so. I don't know why??? Is it something I triggered or can anyone help??? please,
Rich Aka Swankster

Old 09-21-2009, 07:36 AM
3rd Gear

well your gonna need this if you own that car vag com

Old 09-21-2009, 08:46 AM
4th Gear

Just a hunch, but look through the owners manual for the security code for the radio. I'd say there is a 95% chance the previous owner wrote it down in there because he had to use it once or twice. Once you find it, disconnect the battery for a couple minutes. Once you reconnect the battery, the stereo is going to need the security code to work again. Punch in the code and maybe that will fix your problem with the beeping. Not so sure about you door ajar light though.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:28 AM
Site Moderator

Sometimes the open door sensors stick. My 2000 has that issue on rare occasions, but it always goes back to normal after a time.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:59 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by brrman
Sometimes the open door sensors stick. My 2000 has that issue on rare occasions, but it always goes back to normal after a time.
So just where is the door sensor? I was looking for it last night...
Rich

Old 09-21-2009, 01:39 PM
Site Moderator

I am not completely sure - I think it might have something to do with the door latch, where the door latches to the car body.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:16 PM
Legal Moderator

if you got radio code you could try resetting the ecu via unplugging ground wire from battery for a couple minutes.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:18 PM
1st Gear

Will Audi give me the radio code, being I'm the new owner or do I have to contact the dealer? Will they have it on file or do I need to contact the prior owner?
I didn't find the code written in any of the manuals or paperwork and the radio-card was removed from the book.
Thanks in advance...
btw
electrical ghosts continue tonight...
She turned on the headlights and a constant ring projects from the interior for several minutes.
Both front doors are displayed in an open position on the dash LED even when they are clearly closed.
I read the manual and don't understand why resetting the radio will help with the interior audio noises???
Rich

Old 09-22-2009, 11:50 PM
4th Gear

Well, its not resetting the radio they are talking about, but resetting the computer by pulling the leads from the battery. When you do this however, you could put the radio into 'SAFE' which makes it inoperable until a code is inputted - its an anti-theft thing. The dealer should have the code for a fee. I'd call the previous owner.

As for your gremlins;

the ringing when turning on the lights is prolly the 'bulb out' warning. Is there a warning on the dash?

the doors ajar warnings could be from bad door switches, or a bad ground that feeds them. I dont have a location for the switches, but could look up the wiring if that helps...?

Old 09-23-2009, 01:28 PM
4th Gear

When the headlights are on and you open the door, the alarm will buzz for a few minutes, even when the car is running. So, if your car thinks the door is open, when you turn the headlights on, voila, annoying buzz!

As for the radio code, try the previous owner, and if no luck, contact the stealership. I think they can find out what code you should have by your VIN, but it probably won't be free...

Quick Reply: Interior audio beeping @ start up