B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Just bought s4 wheels and got ripped off

Old 06-24-2012, 04:18 AM
1st Gear
Default Just bought s4 wheels and got ripped off

Audi s4 wheels on toyo proxes! OBO

just bought these wheels and tires and came to find out one of the tires is separating from the wheel, and the tires are old as f**k (2005), so they're damn near useless. the guy at discount tire said i can't put a different tire on the bad wheel because it will screw up the AWD system, is this true or false?

what audi are these 17's from anyway? oem wise

my mistake, learned from it that's for sure, i didn't have the money to waste on these.

if possible i would like to throw some cheap used tire on the wheel that has a separated tire just so my audi can be on the road again (it has 2 flats as of now, due to old crusty tires.)

what would the rims alone sell for? or what are they worth, i should ask. FML bigtime

the guy who sold them to me said they were all balanced and ready to be mounted, with no problems, he also said the tires werent old at all, (7 year old tires aren't old to him apparently)

i asked for my money back and he obviously said no and basically, go **** myself.

Last edited by DewAudiA4; 06-24-2012 at 04:29 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:35 AM

those are actually nice wheels whats the part number. they are either RS4 wheels or USP - Ultrasport wheels.

since you seem to have bad luck with tires i would say buy new ones? you buy them pretty much once every year or so depending on driving habits. Its better thn buying a used tire and having it blow, then buying another used tire........

the wheels rant bad, they look nice for the wheels alone id say 3-400 shouldn't be too hard to get if they are straight.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Did you not look them over before you bought them?

They look like 17" "Celebrations", very nice set of wheels. The guy you talked to at discount tire is correct. The AWD on your car is mechanical. If you have one wheel that's larger than the rest by 3% or more, the center differential will be very unhappy.

Obviously the best thing to do would be to buy 4 new tires. If you don't have the cash for that, you need to make sure that the tires you have are as close to one another in diameter as possible.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:27 PM
1st Gear

I didn't look them over thoroughly because i'm an idiot and was in a major rush to get to work, they are pretty curbed up though, i paid $400...

thanks for the replies so far, i only have two choices it seems, resell them on craigslist and try to get my money back or throw a new set of tires on them, if i put new tires on them i'd probably like to get them refinished or powder coated, get rid of the curb rash

where is the part number located, somewhere on the back i assume?

Old 06-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Those are the same wheels I have. If they're real (which they appear to be) the part number will be on the front underneath the plastic cover that snaps on to hide the lug nuts. There will also be info about the size, offset, and other production info about the wheel. I'll walk outside and snap a pic of mine so you can see what I'm talking about.

EDIT: Here's a pic of one of mine. The number at about 12:30 is the part number. Looks to me like 8D0601025AD. 3 o'clock is width and offset info, and the other three are brand names/manufacturing stuff. Hope that helps!

Name:  2012-06-24_12-49-51_93.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  79.6 KB

Last edited by CCA4; 06-24-2012 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Corrected part no.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:01 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jonbonesjones
those are actually nice wheels whats the part number. they are either RS4 wheels or USP - Ultrasport wheels.

since you seem to have bad luck with tires i would say buy new ones? you buy them pretty much once every year or so depending on driving habits. Its better thn buying a used tire and having it blow, then buying another used tire........

the wheels rant bad, they look nice for the wheels alone id say 3-400 shouldn't be too hard to get if they are straight.
OEM RS4's and USP's were 18". Celebrations were 17's which is what I'd bet on. They have OEM centercaps instead of cheap ones that would come with a replica wheel.

The part number is acutally 8D0 601 025 AD

Last edited by IanWPB; 06-24-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:35 PM
1st Gear

Thanks a lot guys I'll look at them tomorrow and take a peek at the part number, hope they're not replicas, and yeah they're 17's so probably the celebrations, what car did these come out of the factory on?

Old 06-24-2012, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by IanWPB
The part number is acutally 8D0 601 025 AD
Thanks for the correction! I'll edit my original post.

Originally Posted by DewAudiA4
Thanks a lot guys I'll look at them tomorrow and take a peek at the part number, hope they're not replicas, and yeah they're 17's so probably the celebrations, what car did these come out of the factory on?
They came on B5 A4's as part of the "Celebration Package." Came with those wheels and some interior bits to celebrate some anniversary I think.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:59 PM
1st Gear

I see, they're being held at discount tire at the moment because I didn't have the room or time to lug them home yesterday, so when I pick them up tomorrow I'm going to look at the part number, etc.

They are pretty curbed up, would sandblasting/powdercoating make them look a bit smoother or fill in any of the scratches, or is the only way to fix a curbed up wheel to basically do actual bodywork to it (bondo/sand/primer/ blah blah ~~~) could I do the bodywork to them and then powder coat them, or would powder coating them eat through the bondo or putty? (obviously i know very little about powder coating)

Old 06-25-2012, 12:36 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by DewAudiA4
I see, they're being held at discount tire at the moment because I didn't have the room or time to lug them home yesterday, so when I pick them up tomorrow I'm going to look at the part number, etc.

They are pretty curbed up, would sandblasting/powdercoating make them look a bit smoother or fill in any of the scratches, or is the only way to fix a curbed up wheel to basically do actual bodywork to it (bondo/sand/primer/ blah blah ~~~) could I do the bodywork to them and then powder coat them, or would powder coating them eat through the bondo or putty? (obviously i know very little about powder coating)
Honestly I don't know much of anything about powder coating.

However I have spray painted wheels in the past. I think that it is probably the best route to go because of how cheap it can be done for and if you curb it or scratch it again you just touch it up. I don't know how much it costs for powder coating but I know it's not as cheap as a couple cans of duplicolor.

I say sand down the really bad areas and spray paint them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just bought s4 wheels and got ripped off