B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

just installed my a8 bbk today

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 11:08 PM
5th Gear
Default just installed my a8 bbk today

just like the titles says. one question for everybody that has done it before though, do you feel the pads sliding on the slotted part of the rotor when you're going down the road and turn the steering wheel about 30°? mine actually shakes a bit going 80. other than that, those ******* are absolufuckingly awesome. i don't get the floating sensation i used to have slamming the brakes from 80mph. now i just have to test them out in the rain but since the weather report is never accurate in binghamton, i'll have to ask some old people if their bones are aching weather wise each day. ty for all the help jeremy, keith and the guy from CT that came up but idk how to spell your name.

almost forgot the most important part, i will be putting up pix 2morrow

Old 05-03-2008, 11:11 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: just installed my a8 bbk today

The pad doesnt touch the rotor when the car moves, not sure why that is happening. As for the shaking, go retorque the wheel bolts

Old 05-03-2008, 11:15 PM
5th Gear

i will check the torque 2morrow. the car is perfectly fine when the wheel is straight though, it's very appaling lol.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:08 AM
Administrator

That is weird - not sure why that's happening. I can meet you tomorrow and we can check it out - either come by the house or I'll meet up with you somewhere and I'll bring the torque wrench with me. Strange for sure - glad you were able to pick them up though and glad they're on the car - believe me, you won't have to worry in the rain - they stop just as well as in the dry

Old 05-04-2008, 01:29 AM
Administrator

Oh, and no, mine didn't do anything like that. I put 'em on, bedded the pads, and that was it, with no such issues. BTW, I am planning on fixing that screwy wiring at home tomorrow, so we should be back in business with the air tools (word to the wise - learn from my experience, and find out if the guy who wired your garage before you bought the house was retarded. If so, plan on having to unf*ck things about once a month as you discover them).

While you finished putting the breather hose back together on Varun's car, it took Keith and I together to get your damn lower carrier bolt out - he was pushing on the breaker bar, I was pulling, and I still almost pulled a muscle, even after 45 minutes of soak time using the PB Blaster. I think Jerry's term of "environmental torque" definitely applied there.

I heard from Varun a little earlier this evening - he was about 10 minutes from home and running nice and smoothly - successful trip all around I'd say. Next time we need to completely fill my property with Audis though - five VAG cars wasn't enough

Old 05-04-2008, 04:19 AM
1st Gear

I'm planning on doing A8 front brakes (taking the car in this week to see if I need new rotors or not 4 sure before I decide to buy)

Is there a good DIY for this? Did you do just fronts or all 4? What kit did you buy (rotors, pads, clamps?)

Old 05-04-2008, 09:02 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: dr_zoidberg

I'm planning on doing A8 front brakes (taking the car in this week to see if I need new rotors or not 4 sure before I decide to buy)

Is there a good DIY for this? Did you do just fronts or all 4? What kit did you buy (rotors, pads, clamps?)
https://www.audiforums.com/m_769154/tm.htm

Old 05-04-2008, 10:32 AM
Tech Slut

Hiwords: How much was the kit and where from? you only did fronts correct?

Old 05-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Administrator

He got it from someone on VWVortex who bought it and didn't ever install it. I don't remember the exact price but it was somewhat less than retail (around $300 I think). It's only the front brakes. If you get the chance, buy the kit - it's worth every penny and is all a street-driven A4 would ever need.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:07 AM
5th Gear

i bought the kit from a guy on vortex who had them for a year, never put them on and sold his a4. the kit is only for the front. no point in doing the rears because it calls for s4 calipers i believe, purems.com has a pretty good deal, i think ecstuning had dropped their prices too. i did notice that one of the rotors had like a dimple on the edge which i didn't see when putting them on. i don't think that could be the problem but that might be throwing the balance off if that's even possible.

Quick Reply: just installed my a8 bbk today