B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Keeping radio on when turning engine off possible?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 11:59 PM
1st Gear
Default Keeping radio on when turning engine off possible?

It drives me crazy that when I park somewhere and don't want to get out of my car yet, when I turn the key to shut the engine off, everything goes off, including the radio.

In my other car (and most cars for that matter) you can shut the engine down and keep accessories or power on, this is really annoying when there's a good song on or something interesting on the radio but when I shut the car off the radio goes with it.

Any way to shut the engine off but keep the radio on?

Thanks for any input!

Old 01-28-2013, 12:06 AM
Legal Moderator

dont know about you but all i gotta do is press the volume button to turn the radio on, even when the key is out. it stays on for an hour and turns off automatically

Old 01-28-2013, 02:04 AM
1st Gear

Yeah I think I can do that, I just want to have the radio stay on when I shut the engine off... Most other cars I've had, the radio stayed on if I wanted it to, they at least had the option to stay on if I turned the car off.

It's just annoying that the stereo shuts off when I turn the engine off, I was just wondering if there was at least a way to turn it off and keep the accessories on like most other cars.

Doesn't seem like a big deal but when I'm in the middle of singing a song when I pull up to my destination, and don't want to waste gas thus turning the engine off, I wish the stereo could stay on.

Not possible?

Old 01-28-2013, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Seems to me you'd have to re-wire the 12v+ to the radio, which seems to me like a huge pain in the *** and not worth the effort. How much gas are you really wasting leaving the car running to finish one song on the radio?

Old 01-28-2013, 10:14 AM
1st Gear

Not a lot, just used to shutting cars off and having the radio stay on, and was curious if there was any way to do it in B5's but I guess not! I thought maybe there was some trick while turning the key off to keeping the radio on.

If it came to rewiring you are absolutely right, not worth it at all.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Yeah I feel like it would be similar to doing the independent fog light mod in terms of figuring out a way to provide constant 12v+ to the radio when it would normally be switched off with the key.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:04 PM
1st Gear

My 2 year old daughter surprised me one day playing in my B5 S4 last summer by turning on the radio without the key in the car. Just hit the power button on the radio and it will come on. After she showed me that I went throw the owners Manuel and found it also.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:57 PM
1st Gear

my radio is always on once the car is switched of as long as the key remains inside, once its taken out, it turns off

Old 01-28-2013, 06:01 PM
1st Gear

My radio shuts off as soon as I turn the key counterclockwise (shut the engine off)

Old 01-28-2013, 08:13 PM
2nd Gear

For the record, you wouldnt modify the supply power to the unit, that is constant 12v. You would have to modify the signal wire which tells the head unit whether the car is on or off. I do wish mine worked the way George's did. It would be possible to modify the wiring for the affect because there is a switch which monitors whether the key has been removed (only if the car was first switched to on).

Quick Reply: Keeping radio on when turning engine off possible?