B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

knock/tap/rattle coming from front of engine bay during cold weather starting...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 08:36 AM
1st Gear

Hey all,

So my 2000 A4 V6 2.8 auto slapshift makes a worrying rattling noise during the cold weather mornings... Only when idling, when it goes above maybe 1200 rpm the sound is gone. Also, when the car reaches temp and gets driven (even the short 3 mile drive to work) the noise is almost gone... Totally gone if I take a longer drive. This also happened last winter, but wasn't as loud (wasn't as cold either) and then it was gone during the summer months.

I have tried to research the problem but none of the sounds I hear on other threads sound like mine.

I will attach a couple videos first is cold start, this morning, -10 °F (prob around -15 during the night) .... The second is after letting it warm up and driving 3 miles to work.

Thanks for your input everyone.

Edit: I want to add that it's not a steady tap "1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4" ... It sounds uneven...

Edit 2: Yes I am aware that I stupidly recorded video vertically... My B

Last edited by MelendezA32; 03-06-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:44 AM
1st Gear
Old 03-06-2014, 09:46 AM
1st Gear
Old 03-06-2014, 10:52 AM
2nd Gear

Video's set to private. Tapping on cold start is almost always the cam chain tensioner though, is it coming from one of the heads or the centre of the block down low?

Old 03-06-2014, 11:03 AM
1st Gear

Thanks... Didn't realize it was set to private.

Would the sound from the tensioner get less noticeable as the car warms up and gets driven?

What does fixing it entail?

Thanks

Old 03-06-2014, 11:15 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mad Cow
Video's set to private. Tapping on cold start is almost always the cam chain tensioner though, is it coming from one of the heads or the centre of the block down low?
I am actually partly deaf so locating it is a little difficult. It sounds to me like its coming from down low in front.

Edit: Also would the tensioner throw a CEL? I don't have any lights on. (Ok thats a lie, I have low wiper fluid)

Last edited by MelendezA32; 03-06-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:38 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by MelendezA32
Thanks... Didn't realize it was set to private.

Would the sound from the tensioner get less noticeable as the car warms up and gets driven?

What does fixing it entail?

Thanks
Yes, being the oil viscosity gets more thin, after it gets warmer and hotter. less resistance for the cam chain tensioner. Depends on the kind of oil you're using, too. Still, you need your cam chain tensioner, replaced. Regardless of your oil weight.

You need to have your cam chain tensioner replaced. it entails removing the valve cover gasket to get to the cam chain tensioner.

Unless you know how to wrench, you need to bring it to a independent shop for such a repair.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:51 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by morpheous

Yes, being the oil viscosity gets more thin, after it gets warmer and hotter. less resistance for the cam chain tensioner. Depends on the kind of oil you're using, too. Still, you need your cam chain tensioner, replaced. Regardless of your oil weight.

You need to have your cam chain tensioner replaced. it entails removing the valve cover gasket to get to the cam chain tensioner.

Unless you know how to wrench, you need to bring it to a independent shop for such a repair.
Is there any write-up for this anywhere? I am a big DIY-er but haven't dealt with any internal engine parts short of replacing gaskets and valve covers on past vehicles. I am sensing some sarcasm in you last sentence, so I'm guessing its relatively easy to fix?

Also-is it safe to drive in the meantime?

Old 03-06-2014, 12:01 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by morpheous

Im actually running 5w-40 right now... F*ckin guy at the Mobil 1 shop told me Mobil 1 didn't recommend the 0w for my vehicle.... Asshat... I am due for an oil change and I will be running 0w-40 regardless of what that schumck says... I'm wondering if this causes the noise.

Last edited by MelendezA32; 03-06-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:15 PM
2nd Gear

Just saw the videos and it doesn't really sound like a chain tensioner, those usually have a more consistent and higher-pitched tapping sound, and when they're bad enough to be this loud there's usually other symptoms like rough running or a loss of torque. Sounds more like an accessory or timing belt tensioner. Pull off the top engine cover and both upper timing chain covers and look to see if either of the belts is wobbling or vibrating.

Quick Reply: knock/tap/rattle coming from front of engine bay during cold weather starting...