B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

knocking/clicking noise in front end

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 12:52 PM
1st Gear
Default knocking/clicking noise in front end

Hi all...I'm new to the forum but love audi's just as much as anyone here. I've been having one problem after another which is prompting me to sell, but if I get that big promotion I'm hoping for, it'll be upgrade-city!! Anyways, I'm hearing a knocking/clicking sound from the front end of my car when I brake or turn. It's a '99 2.8 Quattro, and I've seen posts about the tie rods or wheel barings going bad around 80K mi and mine's at 81K mi. I've had CV joint problems with other cars and this sound is different from the CV joint sound. Any ideas?

Old 06-19-2008, 12:56 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: knocking/clicking noise in front end

If it's a clicking while turning it's a CV joint most likely. if it's a "clunk" when accellerating or braking it could be control arms, tie rod links, or motor/tranny mounts... Is this an automatic or a manual car? there's an easy motor/tranny mount test if it's an automatic.

Ryan

Old 06-19-2008, 01:10 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: knocking/clicking noise in front end

Hey thanks for the response. It's a manual transmission and come to think of it, I had CV joint problems with a different car when I slid off the road during a rainstorm. I slid off the road in this car during a snow storm and hit a large pothole..it cracked the oil pan and the mechanic said that was all he could see as the problem. Maybe he missed the CV joint.The noiseis most prominent when turning and occassional when braking. Thanks for the tip! I'll have to get it verified before trying to replace it myself. Any tips on that?