B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Larger MAF for AEB

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 02:46 PM
2nd Gear
Default Larger MAF for AEB

I am getting to the limits of my stock MAF.
1998 AEB (nDBW).
What MAF (make/model/number) do I currently have? Hitachi, I think.

For upgrade, it seems Passat VR6 seems the choice (housing or complete MAF if tuned for).

What year/model/part number do I need to get?

Old 07-24-2011, 02:54 PM
2nd Gear
Default Larger tune - flashable ECU for AEB?

I read that it is possible to convert my AEB nDBW ECU (non flashable, right?) to a flashable. My ECU is 8D0 907 557 N .

Was told:

"For example MAF from old VW VR6 engine controlled by M3.8.1 ECU is suitable.
Аpprox 260 g/sec max reading, but it have sufficiently bigger size."

Can a M3.8.1 ECU be swapped (plug and play) into my AEB to replace my current ECU?

How is it done? What donor car (year/model/part number) do I need to look for?

One I have MAF and ECU flashable:

what flashable files are out there for 1.8T AEB manual with larger than 325cc (31lb), 3 bar (current Giac PC16)?

Old 07-24-2011, 11:08 PM
Tech Slut

You need whatever the tune is written for. Uni uses mostly stock sensor with vr6 housing. Eurodyne uses different sensors completely (from 4.2 audi to ford lightning iirc).
I have a custom aluminum vr6 housing for sale if you need it.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:35 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by FASTER
You need whatever the tune is written for. Uni uses mostly stock sensor with vr6 housing. Eurodyne uses different sensors completely (from 4.2 audi to ford lightning iirc).
I have a custom aluminum vr6 housing for sale if you need it.
Still struggling with maf limit. Bought VR6 but my AEB sensor has different orientation, cannot swap the sensor into the larger housing.

Is there a measuring block in vagcom to read the maf voltage on AEB engines?

Which VR6 MAF part number has the correct sensor mounting for AEB?

Old 11-05-2012, 10:50 AM

The AEB will use a MK3 VR6 MAF housing. If your VR6 housing is the wrong orientation then it's from a MK4.

You can also try contacting Doug @ FrankenTurbo (sales @ frankenturbo.com) and see if he'll sell you just the housing. Chances are good that he will.

Haven't seen how MAF voltage can be directly measured in VAG-COM. Are you trying to do this to see how high your MAF numbers are getting (to bypass the ~190g/s limit the ECU shows?).

Old 11-05-2012, 11:45 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by MetalMan
The AEB will use a MK3 VR6 MAF housing. If your VR6 housing is the wrong orientation then it's from a MK4.

You can also try contacting Doug @ FrankenTurbo (sales @ frankenturbo.com) and see if he'll sell you just the housing. Chances are good that he will.

Haven't seen how MAF voltage can be directly measured in VAG-COM. Are you trying to do this to see how high your MAF numbers are getting (to bypass the ~190g/s limit the ECU shows?).

Got, thanks. MK3 is a fit (ordered a used one); the one I have is MK4.

Yes, I would like to see how close the voltage comes to the theoretical 5.0V ECU cutoff.

If we had the calibrations table for the AEB (voltage vs. g/sec), and if it is fairly linear (does anybody know?), another ghetto fix could be use a resistor (MAF has DC output) to at least extend the range a bit (until the sheer SPEED of the air through the housing/sensor is starting to cause issues). Small adjustments via resistor together with the corresponding adjustment in fuel delivery (increased fuel pressure) may allow to push the stock MAF by another 10% (which may just be anough to debottleneck my current 190 g/sec setup?).

If anyone was such a calibration table for the stock AEB Bosch MAF?

Would be very interested.

email: regulatorfix (at) gmail.com