B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Left and Right brake lights not working, third OK

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 09:15 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Frozenguy

So the bulb COULD still be the culprit

One of the filaments could be out, while the tail light filament remains good. Right?
No question. But I'm more interested in the fact that your bulb only has one contact at the bottom. That's not the right bulb. It has to have two. Look at Clayson's drawing. Look at M4 and M9. See the way there are half circles around them instead of full circles? That's because there are two filiments in that bulb. And the only way to activate them independently is if there are two contacts at the bottom of the bulb, and two contacts at the bottom of the socket.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:15 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mtroxel

It should tell you a lot. If you test from the ground to the contacts at the bottom of the brake/tail light bulb, one should have 12 volts when you step on the brake, the other should have 12 volts when you turn on the lights. If you get 12 volts on a contact when you hit the brakes, either the bulb is bad or the bottom of the bulb is not making good contact in the socket.
I'll go check

Old 11-16-2013, 09:20 PM
1st Gear

No question. But I'm more interested in the fact that your bulb only has one contact at the bottom. That's not the right bulb. It has to have two. Look at Clayson's drawing. Look at M4 and M9. See the way there are half circles around them instead of full circles? That's because there are two filiments in that bulb. And the only way to activate them independently is if there are two contacts at the bottom of the bulb, and two contacts at the bottom of the socket.
The double filament housing, did and does have a double filament bulb installed. And the single filament housings did and do have single filament bulbs. So that's good.

The bulbs I purchased were single filament and I only attempted to put them in the single filament housing in the center which turns out are the reverse lights. These were recommended to me by a sylvania computer and store employee

employee/sylvania should have told me to buy double filament bulbs at which point by process of elimination, I would have installed in the bottom and deduced the bottom was brakes. I was all messed up.. but double/single bulbs were never mix matched. Not even for my little testing.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:29 PM
2nd Gear

I'm getting a little lost. All I know is if you have 12 volts on one of the contacts at the bottom of that socket when someone steps on the brakes, your problem is either the bulb, or the fact that it's not making good contact in that socket.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:35 PM
1st Gear

I'm getting a little lost. All I know is if you have 12 volts on one of the contacts at the bottom of that socket when someone steps on the brakes, your problem is either the bulb, or the fact that it's not making good contact in that socket.
I'm looking at this bulb and I can clearly see a break in one of the coiled filaments. I'm going to check it with the multimeter just to be sure before I buy another.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:49 PM
1st Gear

Hm..

I get 13.36 V across the brake light contacts when the brake is pressed, but no light.

Is that too much voltage or within tolerance?

Old 11-16-2013, 10:01 PM
2nd Gear

I would have expected more like 12.5, but I'm pretty sure that's not your problem. You said one bulb has a broken filiment in it. How bout the other bulb?

Old 11-16-2013, 11:05 PM
1st Gear

I would have expected more like 12.5, but I'm pretty sure that's not your problem. You said one bulb has a broken filiment in it. How bout the other bulb?
I didn't check the other one but suspected the same so I went out and bought new ones and SUCCESS!! haha. If I had been a tad bit more thorough I would have noticed my mistake and possibly come to this conclusion much sooner.

Thanks for the help man I appreciate it.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:12 PM
2nd Gear

No prob. Glad you got it.