B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Made it home, let the fun begin...

Old 07-19-2010, 12:48 PM
4th Gear
Default Made it home, let the fun begin...

Hey guys, I'm back and having fun with the car, so to speak. I've run into a few issues installing the test pipe (they only sent me one gasket) and I'm having trouble holding a charge (hoping it's the battery, the alternator looks like a real PITA to replace).

Anyway, one quick question. I'm replacing the turbo inlet pipe with an APR inlet, and when I took the thing that kinda looks like a flattened DV off of the inlet pipe, it spilled a bit of oil. Please excuse my ignorance for not knowing what the hell it's called. I can post a pic later if you guys need it. But, there was no oil in the old inlet pipe or what not, so I was just a bit curious.

Anyway, I'm about to run to AZ to get the battery checked, try to see if they right have the exhaust gasket I need, and just look for some overall goodies (air filter, cabin air filter, and what not).

It's good to be home, and the wife, bless her soul, insists I spend a little time with my mistress... Gotta love her!

Old 07-19-2010, 12:51 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Glad your back in one piece. Hope you, the wife, and the mistress, get all the attention you each deserve.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:59 PM
2nd Gear

Its called the pancake valve, its normal for there to be some oil in there

Old 07-19-2010, 01:32 PM
4th Gear

A6Beau, don't worry, everyone is getting all the attention they can handle. Funny off topic story from yesterday (when I got home). My youngest son, 4 years old, asked my wife, "Do you love Daddy more than me? Cause you kiss him alot." Priceless.

Anyway, flynnr, thanks for that tip. Another question then, it leaked about and ounce or two of oil. Should I put a little back in before I reinstall it?

Old 07-19-2010, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Great to hear you're back intact man. If you're headed to AZ anyway you might as well just change the oil. I assume the car has sat awhile - maybe do that as a just-because. Great quote from your son lol - gotta love the way kids think

Old 07-19-2010, 02:06 PM
Tech Slut

Originally Posted by flynnr
Its called the pancake valve, its normal for there to be some oil in there
It's really called a pcv valve, but there are plenty of nicknames. Catch can ftw.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:26 PM
4th Gear

Got oil and filter yesterday along with some seafoam. Gonna do the seafoam first,then the oil after the next gas up. The battery was toast, 150 bucks for a new one, gotta love these German cars and their expensive parts. Got the test pipe in and most of the turbo inlet when the wife convinced me to go to the pool for awhile. Should be up and running in the next couple hours, then the real fun begins!

Old 07-19-2010, 07:37 PM
Tech Slut

You got hosed on the batt. Shoulda just got one that had the same cold cranking amps. Got mine for 80 bucks.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:06 PM
Tech Guru

welcome back, and no don't put the oil back in there

Old 07-19-2010, 10:56 PM
4th Gear

she runs again, and stronger than ever. I think I might have a stuck caliper though. She's been sitting for 5 months, and sounds funny when moving. After a quick test drive around the block, the front left smelt a little burnt, and I developed a knock that varies with speed. I hope I don't need a wheel bearing. I forgot to call the insurance before they closed today, so I'll do that tomorrow first thing and then the real fun really begins.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Made it home, let the fun begin...