B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Module Master ABS "Fix" Did Not Work

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 10:04 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs down Module Master ABS "Fix" Did Not Work

I have a 1999 A4 1.8T Quattro

Previously I had the issue where the ABS light comes on and the brake light flashes continuously. The dealer told me the ABS control module was bad, so I sent it into Module Master to be repaired.

I got done installing it today, and now the brake light doesn't flash, but the ABS light is still on. Is there something I need to do after installing the computer to make it work right? I put the computer back on the pump and attached both connectors.

What are the odds that one of my wheel sensors went bad during the two years that my ABS was broken?

The dealer is a 30 minute drive. Is there anywhere else that I can get this scanned for codes?

Last edited by SeaWolfxix; 06-03-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:10 PM
5th Gear

how does the car drive? can you make the ABS kick in?

Old 06-03-2010, 10:13 PM
1st Gear

I didn't try yet. I wanted to see if anybody had any answers on here first.

I can take it out though if that would help the diagnosis.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:15 PM
5th Gear

the light might go away if you drive it for a while and the computer finally realizes there's a good module in there.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:32 PM
Tech Guru

no, it doesn't need to be "reset" it is either good or not.... when ian did mine the minute i put it back in it was good to go

Old 06-03-2010, 10:46 PM
1st Gear

Well, I just drove it around for about 5 miles. Did a couple ABS stops in a gravel parking lot, and the wheels just locked up.

I guess I'll call Module Master in the morning and see what they recommend.

What sucks is that I was planning to leave for vacation tomorrow. I guess that's what I get for planning on a 1-day install.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:27 AM
Administrator

Yeah you definitely need VagCom to scan the braking/ABS system to see what codes you've got in there. You may have bad wheelspeed sensors taking your ABS offline. Agreed with turbo kraut - I had a sensor fail and trip the ABS light. Soon as I replaced it, the light was gone. It's just an inductive pickup really and the car will recognize it right away if it's good or bad.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:00 PM
1st Gear
Default your mileage may vary

This provided FYI as it may or may not be related.

I had a slow speed (20kph and below) consistent ABS application.
I watched the inputs in VAG and saw no variation (looking for varied signals).
Two front axles and two rear outer cv kits and it turns out BOTH rear tone rings (the metal ring the sensors read) were split.

I would get occasional abs light on dusty roads, but most of the time no idication except abs kicking in below 20kph.

May, or may not be related...

Old 06-06-2010, 12:26 AM
Default ABS on + brake light flashes/beeps or ESP light on

Hi, I'm a newb (2002 A4 Quattro 1.8T with 133k miles). Other than getting frustrated as hell everytime the damn check engine light comes on or something beeps at me and finally getting tired of paying a mechanic thousands of dollars, I decided to dig out all my old auto tools (and of course, have to buy some new ones too) and get into the DIY mode.

I have a brake issue, so hopefully someone can shed some light - I've read posts on similar topics where it could be as simple as the brake pedal switch, or as expensive as repairing the ABS module (I hope NOT)...

I checked brake fluid level and it's fine, but the ABS light comes on and the Brake light flashes and beeps 3 times about every 15 minutes or so when driving. Also, the above lights will disappear and the ESP light will come on and stay lit.

I scanned for error codes and got 17700 (this code is always there - Map Controlled Engine Cooling Thermostat (F265): Open Circuit), 18057 (Data Bus Powertrain Missing message from ABS Control Module) and 18265 (Load Signal Error Message from Engine Contr). A few times while scanning the ABS section, it doesn't read the codes and says LINKING ERROR!

Any assistance is greatly appreciated, so I don't waste $300 getting the ABS module repaired by modulemaster.com

Thanks much!