B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

My '99 2.8L Q-Tip A4

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 10:27 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, I saw those $8.95 mats at ECS, nice deal but it says 99.5 and up B5's. I have an early 99. What's the difference in the post-facelift mats?

Old 12-25-2010, 10:47 PM
3rd Gear

I think they might not lock in place the same? I have them sitting in my 99.0. you might be able to lock them in place but I'm not sure, they're heavy enough to not slide around. can't beat $8.95

Old 12-26-2010, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by R. Johnson
Hey thanks, thats exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

I thought standard plain face rotors were actually better than slotted for street use? Looks like it is cheaper to buy the carriers and rotors separate though, thanks.
Those rotors are some of the least expensive I can find, but I'm not sure how slotting affects daily driving. There are also these rotors (free shipping):
http://www.mjmautohaus.com/catalog/p...oducts_id=3594

Old 12-26-2010, 10:27 AM
1st Gear

From what reading I've done on other forums (I'd like to find a real reference on this topic, drilled vs. slotted vs. blank, but no luck so far) blank, plain face rotors are really better for street driving because of pad wear and overall surface area. Drilled, slotted, and combination rotors tend to eat pads. And, cheap drilled rotors have a tendency to crack. I also have read that modern, good quality pads don't have a problem with gases and contaminants that would justify the slots or holes.

Basically, people are saying fancy rotors are purely for aesthetics these days. Not sure where I stand. If formula one cars use blank rotors aren't they good enough for us?

Old 12-26-2010, 02:07 PM
1st Gear

Found this.

http://stoptech.com/tech_info/tech_white_papers.shtml

Lot of good reference material; not much on slotted vs. blank discs, but enough to assure me it doesn't matter for street use.

Has anyone here had problems with increased front bias after doing the A8/TT upgrade? Anyone done or seen 60-0 distance tests before/after the upgrade?

Old 12-28-2010, 09:18 AM
1st Gear

heres a picture of your twin.

Name:  DSC00999.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  86.0 KB

Old 12-28-2010, 11:23 AM
2nd Gear

That's the kit I used, and my engine seems brand new again. Two thumbs up!

Old 12-28-2010, 05:30 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jaystacks
heres a picture of your twin.
So your's has that black running down the side of the car too... Was that standard on the white 2.8L cars?

So I noticed on my way to and from work (hour drive, back roads) today that the car doesn't really warm up. Heater works perfectly, the cabin gets nice and warm. I was watching the temp gauge and it never gets much above C. It reaches the 1/6 mark between cold and hot but that's about it. Oil temp gauge doesn't seem to move above the 150 degree minimum.

Is that normal for these cars in 20 degree weather?

Old 12-28-2010, 09:39 PM
1st Gear

Thermostat is stuck. Seems pretty common on the 2.8Ls from the 90's. My sons 96 just did this. Heated up fine if idled in the driveway or driven below 20 mph with the gauge going right up to the mid point on the gauge, but as soon as you get up to 40 mph or more the temp comes right down and sits about a needles width above the C. His thermostat would open at 190 degrees like it was suppossed to but not close until the temperature got back down to about 70 degrees. I had it in a pot of water on the stove and watched it do this. Can't quite figure out how it happens because it was never stuck, and it opened just like it was suppossed to. Anyway a new thermostat cured the issue.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

So your's has that black running down the side of the car too... Was that standard on the white 2.8L cars?

So I noticed on my way to and from work (hour drive, back roads) today that the car doesn't really warm up. Heater works perfectly, the cabin gets nice and warm. I was watching the temp gauge and it never gets much above C. It reaches the 1/6 mark between cold and hot but that's about it. Oil temp gauge doesn't seem to move above the 150 degree minimum.

Is that normal for these cars in 20 degree weather?
All b5 A4s have the black down the side, front and back not just the white ones (unless your talking about the pinstripe on the door) As far as warming up we have been around 10F the last week and I always get the temp gauge up to the middle!

Last edited by chocalotstarfish; 12-29-2010 at 08:22 AM.