B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

My '99 2.8L Q-Tip A4

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 08:58 PM
Administrator

Doing your own work can save you a fortune on these cars. Where do you live? There may be some of us near enough that we can help.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:45 AM
1st Gear

I live in northeast CT.

After a quick search it looks like the car needs to be in "service" mode to get to the thermostat easily since it's behind the timing belt. Meaning the whole front end needs to be taken apart as if you were doing the timing belt/water pump. I'm guessing whoever did the timing service didn't test the thermostat before putting it in, or they didn't even replace it.

I'm going to do the radiator hose temp check at lunch to make sure the thermostat is really the problem.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:08 PM
1st Gear

Front doesn't have to be removed if the 30V is anything like the 12V.

Just need to remove the plastic covers over the front of the engine and timing belt (be careful they break easy after being exposed to engine heat for the last 11 years or so. Then you remove the engine driven fan, and then release the belt tensioner and remove the accessory drive belt (for the fan, power steering, A/C etc. not the timing belt) and in my cas I found it easier to get clearance by removing the power steering pump from the top of the engine. Pop the lower radiator hose off the thermostat housing cover and unbolt the cover. The thermostat cover is held on by two 10mm bolts on opposite sides of the thermostat. Once thats free you can pull and twist and wiggle the cover out of the way to get the thermostat out. Pop the new thermostat in, with the little vent hole pointing up, put the oring in and the cover back on, bolt it down and then reinstall everything you took off and you should be all set to go.

Took me about 3 hours to do, most of which was spent trying to get the thermostat cover off and back on without screwing up the timing belt, or having it come off.