B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Need to drop transmission to replace input shaft seal!!!!

Old 11-01-2013, 11:07 PM
1st Gear
Default Need to drop transmission to replace input shaft seal!!!!

Ok guys so I decided to do a tranny fluid change in 2001.5 due to minor slippage. There was a ton of sludge in the pan, so i changed the filter, got some pentosin then filled it up level and at the right temp, put it in gear and filled it up until the tranny fluid drained out the fill plug. I took it for a drive and it was shifting perfect!!!!! I drove it around for a bit and was soooo happy!! I did a couple of hard pulls to make sure it was good, after the pulls I noticed a cloud of smoke following me. Long story short I traced the leak to the holes in the bottom of the bell housing and it leaks pretty darn quick. The good thing is that the tranny is still in good shape however I have to pull it to replace the input shaft seal.

So it seems that pulling the automatic quattro tranny is quite difficult, however, I have the know-how and tools for the most part. I have built engines and am currently a maintenance technician for BMW, so dont think I can't do it.

Ok on to the questions:

1) Where can I go to find info on the steps to remove the tranny.
2) what other parts should I replace while I'm in there so hopefully I wont have to pull it apart again.

Thanks...

Jason

Old 11-02-2013, 12:18 AM
1st Gear

well after searching for hours I finally found a decent manual to followchttp://www.dj-sures.com/GraphicFiles...%20install.pdf

Old 11-02-2013, 05:53 PM
2nd Gear

Jason don't mean to scare you, but when I had the same symptoms on my dear departed 96 A4 Q auto. It it hard once and smoke everywhere with a long trail of red fluid. The reason the front seal went bad was because the pump right behind it went bad and banged on the seal. So it may just be a seal that let go, or it may be that the pump got sloppy and killed the seal.