B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Need Help Modding! 98 2.8 B5

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Default Need Help Modding! 98 2.8 B5

Suspension and Intake!

Should I get springs or coilovers? Where?

Where can I get an Intake?

I need heeeeeeeeelp! I am new to modding/tuning Audi's and my wife just gave me hers and said I can do whatever I want to it! Yes she's unleashed hell.

1998 Audi A4 2.8 FWD B5 ALL STOCK!

oh and any tips on unlocking my Bose system would help!

Thanks in Advance!

Old 10-05-2009, 06:43 PM
3rd Gear

.....search button...........use it........

Old 10-05-2009, 06:48 PM
1st Gear

Yes, the search function and the Newbie guide are good places to start. Take a look at those and then ask us any specific questions that you have.

By unlocking your sound system your mean the radio code?

Old 10-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Tech Guru

Shut the hell up. Seriously. You're like all the other 2.8 buyers. You bought an Audi without doing any research and you got yourself a 2.8. Congratu-******'-lations. You can get a PES supercharger and handling mods. Have fun.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:53 PM
3rd Gear

to avoid being too harsh, there is really no point in modifying the reliable 2.8, mostly because you can't......about all you can do is keep it clean get some nice wheels, lower it and be happy with a great daily driver.

You will find that many will not answer simple questions as they have probably been asked a thousand times before......if you think you situation is unique, check the search and then post a question....

Old 10-05-2009, 07:02 PM
3rd Gear

fwd is a lot cheaper to bag

Old 10-05-2009, 10:56 PM

Well Im not looking to drag it. It was given to me by my wife since she had it since before we were married. Just looking to lower the car and maybe an intake and exhaust. just looking for brands and links to reliable products. theres so many people on the fence about everything in the threads. im just looking for people who are willing to point me in the right direction.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:20 PM
3rd Gear

H&R Springs and Bilstein Shocks are a common combo many use (I use this in fact and love it) There are different sets of coil-overs, but like mentioned earlier you will have to search to find how everyone like a particular brand.

Intake....the stock intake you will find (also by searching this and other forums) is actually pretty decent as is. Add a drop-in filter and you will be all set.\

As far as exhaust goes......you can either spend money at an exhaust shop to get a custom job, buy the components you want and have said shop weld everything up or you can purchase something like this....http://www.bahnbrenner.com/vw_audi/p...s_w_Dual_Borla but you stated you have FWD so probably not worth your time.

Again as stated above.....this is covered in the stickies at the top of the page....that is why they are there.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:50 PM
1st Gear

hey man just some advice from someone who recently got into a 98 b5.

money is best spent fixing the problems it already has. (i assume that because its a 98 it has some problems) check the front control arms (upper and lower) check the tie rod ends and check the wheel bearings. if you have an ABS light try to diagnose that problem (it could be a whole list of different things) check the engine for leaks, check the PS pump for leaks and make sure that the car is in overall good shape.

from what ive learned about these audi's is that there is really no NEED to modify these things like you would mod a honda for instance. Hondas lack alot of things and with an Audi keeping up on its maintanence is a forward thinking way of enjoying your car for a long period of time.

Im doing a full suspension rebuild right now with ksport full coilovers, completely rebuilt the front and rear suspension and had to do new axles in the year (the abs sensors on the rear axles rusted off)

make sure to change your oil with good synthetic oil and always replace the filter. if you havent gotten under the car yet you will be very satisfied when you see the filter right there for easy access. For this reason, it is my opinion that nobody should pay for an oil change and to do their own oil changes, especially on an audi b5 2.8.

also, make sure you have an up to date timing belt! a huge mistake people have made in that past is to actually follow factory recommendations of taking the timing belt up to 80k and they find themselves on the side of the road with a blown motor because the timing belt snapped. (i know its kind of ironic but you cant always trust the car manufacturers)

its likely that your car needs alot of repair before it needs mods. and if your like me and your suspension needs rebuilt you're lucky because its a perfect time to rebuild it with all of the aftermarket goodies you want.

just some on my impressions from owning a 2.8 b5 quattro that has needed substantial maintenance work but for me its worth it because these cars are so nice you dont need to mod them!