B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Need a little help

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 07:41 AM
1st Gear
Default Need a little help

I just picked up a 97 1.8tqm

The previous owner was trying to do a xspower turbo mani,turbo and waste gate install.

He removed the factory air box,the MAF is missing.Now with the location of the turbo the factory air box wont fit.

I need to know what to look for or see a picture of a set up in detail,maybe someone local in GA who knows.

I am not sure what is all missing or what I can run being I am in a non emissions county and can basically run anything.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:47 PM
3rd Gear

take that xspower piece of garbage off the car before you do anything else. replace it with a stock exhaust manifold that wont crack in 50 miles. when i bought my car there was one in the trunk that the previous owner said he was going to put on but never got around to it. i could have done a better welding job with the 20 year old stick welder in high school shop class.

if you can take a larger picture that shows the whole left side i could tell you most of what you are missing. from what i can tell you need: a filter >> MAF >> turbo inlet pipe, the turbo to crosspipe hose (the one with the diverter valve hose on it), a diverter valve if you dont have one, N75 if you dont have one. i dont know if you still have an intercooler on the other side but you are atleast missing the hose that connects it to the throttle body.
heres some reference pictures, and a picture of the wonderful craftsmanship on that xspower manifold.

warning: they are large pictures
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../P2270012n.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...r/P2270014.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...r/P2270019.jpg

Old 02-27-2009, 04:57 PM
1st Gear

Well the welding job and the metal quality on this is not bad as good as I have seen.

I have a friend running this same thing on a Honda and has ran it for a year now.

I will run this product for now,but I will get you the pictures larger and appreciate the help.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:59 PM
1st Gear

I also wanted to know if I run an adjustable waste gate what I need to do with the factory stuff it will bypass.

I am also going to run a BOV or a DV which ever is better.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:58 PM
3rd Gear

what are your goals for the car? are you going to be running the stock turbo? are you trying to return it to its original condition or just want the car running and drivable? in the first pictures it looks like thats a external wastegate'd manifold, and a larger v-band turbo. what exactly are you running? and what tuning do you have?

if you are used to working on honda engines or something, you really need to forget a lot of what you know. this engine is nothing like a honda, and if you treat it the same way, you will spend a ton of money fixing stuff.

if you have an external wastegate, you just take the vac line off the regular wg and put it on the external one. you dont need to bypass anything. you got yourself quite a project without really knowing anything about it.

btw the purge valve in the upper left thats connected to the T fitting, that should be connected to the intake BEFORE the turbo, not to a pressure source after the turbo. if that opens while your boosting instead of it releasing pressure (i believe from the gas tank) you will be pressurizing it. the hose to the right of the T section is the pressure source for the diverter valve. im not sure where the upper hose connects to.

also you are going to crack either your exhaust manifold or down pipe or both within a few weeks. know how i know this?

your wastegate tube doesnt have a flex fitting on it. the manifold bolts to the WG which bolts to that smaller hard pipe coming off the downpipe. this WILL crack after a few heat cycles. you should have a flex pipe in between the two somewhere if you are rerouting the wastegate back into the exhaust.

Last edited by ghost6303; 02-27-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:40 AM
1st Gear

Plains are trying to get something 330 to the ground anything else will be a bonus.

I have never owned a 1.8t before,sorry whole new game while not my first A4 quattro is my first turbo Audi.

The car has a few secrets because I got this car after the owner defaulted on the loan and it was repo'd.

So I do not know what all has been done.

All I know for now is the xspower t04e turbo all new Garret seals and bearings no shaft play( I know enough on how to read,lol ) xs turbo mani and waste gate.
kyb struts and tein springs,hks turbo filter,not sure if it was chipped so I plain to check the ecu but it was raining frogs the past 2 days,looking for a break in the weather.

The turbo
T04E TURBOCHARGER
3" INLET DIAMETER
2" OUTLET
WET FLOATING BEARINGS
1/8 NPT OIL INLET
SPECS:
.57 COMPRESSOR WHEEL TRIM
.50 A/R COMPRESSOR
.63 A/R TURBINE

Thanks for the heads up on the flex tube.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:45 AM
1st Gear

Also while its little to your opinion to the product the mani you own is junk and is different then mine.

They had some problem I read on the older factory replacement stuff.
They had a problem with the first line of turbo's in like 02 or something.

I have a friend with this same turbo on a honda with their t3/t4 mani and has run it for year with zero issues.

Last edited by Car_whore; 02-28-2009 at 07:49 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:41 AM
1st Gear

If this is a N75 valve how will it work with my waste gate?

The N75 valve is the link between boost and the wastegate, when the ecu sees the boost it wants it pulses the N75 and which opens and controls the wastegate.

Each N75 valve reacts a little differently. The most common benefits of the "H" valve are, smoothing boost response to help aid "surging" issues on modified cars and holds boost longer into the rpm range.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:24 PM
3rd Gear

most people just run a manual boost controler instead of the n75 when running larger turbos. you still need to leave the n75 plugged into the wiring harness though or else you get a CEL for it.

http://www.turbofast.com.au/FlowTO4E.html

if you are looking for that much power you better be replacing connecting rods too. if this is a quattro, crank horsepower minus about 22% is what you see at the wheels.

but all of that is moot if you dont have any software to run it on. if you try to run that car on the stock ECU you will blow the engine pretty fast. you need to get the car tuned for the amount of air you are going to be pushing into it. you will also need larger fuel injectors, possibly a bigger MAF housing if the software calls for it, a front mount IC, and the correct FPR for the tune as well. a larger fuel pump isnt a bad idea, and a new clutch to handle the power would also be good.

also do you have the correct oil restrictor for that turbo? is the exhaust still stock?

this guy is running a .57 trim turbo, you can take a look at his setup for ideas
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260564

Old 02-28-2009, 04:40 PM
1st Gear

Ok.

I think I see what your talking about.

I need to run the n75 so I do not throw a code,other then that I am fine with the external wastegate.

Also I assume the spring for the WG is a 8 psi spring which I have been told will not be a problem for the stock ecu or injectors.

I will be chipping it later and getting a nice tune local.

My main concern is to get this thing in proper running order similar to stock for now.

I really want to know if I run a hybrid BOV/DV will that be fine to run with a 8 psi spring and not run a MBC?

I am going to remove the down pipe and have a flex connector installed for the wastegate.

Last edited by Car_whore; 02-28-2009 at 04:43 PM.