B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Need some advice ASAP code PO302

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 10:48 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by MattCO
Hi all, thanks for the great advice/help.

I am going to try and fix it myself, my first ever car repair project. They have an Actron Scanner tool on sale at my local parts store, and with a coupon I also found I should be able to get it for less than $30.

So is this what I do:
Switch Coil pack from 2 to 3. Use scanner to clear code, drive around for a bit, see if light comes back on, check code. If P0303 then it’s the coil pack and I can just replace the one on Cylinder 3 now?

But if I get the same error code for Cylinder 2 even after that, would it be a spark plug issues, is that something I can replace just 1 of , or do they all need to match, so I have to get 4 and replace them all?

Thanks!

Off to parts store now.
umm... Did you pay attention to anything we just said? if you did,you would not be on your way to the auto parts store to get 1 coil replaced,instead what you should be doing is planning on going to your local audi dealer tomorrow and get all 4 replaced free!,without wasting money on buying one from the store that will be taken by the audi dealer and replaced anyway.

When you take your A4 to a audi dealer,with the replaced coil,they won't give you back the replaced coil you just bought,they keep it as a core for the replacement coil packs and will destroy the defective coils they replace. So i'm saying save the couple bucks you have,you'll get all 4 for free,not just the 1 you are buying!

someone already said it,you can drive with the one cylinder misfiring for a day,it won't harm your engine,so you can make it back and forth between your job interview.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:31 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

Hi all, thanks for the great advice/help.

I am going to try and fix it myself, my first ever car repair project. They have an Actron Scanner tool on sale at my local parts store, and with a coupon I also found I should be able to get it for less than $30.

So is this what I do:
Switch Coil pack from 2 to 3. Use scanner to clear code, drive around for a bit, see if light comes back on, check code. If P0303 then it’s the coil pack and I can just replace the one on Cylinder 3 now?

But if I get the same error code for Cylinder 2 even after that, would it be a spark plug issues, is that something I can replace just 1 of , or do they all need to match, so I have to get 4 and replace them all?

Thanks!

Off to parts store now.
If the misfire moves to the next cylinder then yes that coil pack is bad. If you get the same code after swapping packs it could be the ignition control module or plugs. Are you also getting a P0300 code?

If you haven't changed the plugs on the car now is a good time to do so since you'll be halfway through the process (change all 4 and remember to use antisieze.)

There was a recall on the coil packs, so call the dealership first with your VIN ready to check for any open recalls. There were none for my car so I had to purchase 4 new coil packs and plugs out of pocket (~$220).

Do you get a misfire in normal driving? Mine would only misfire under WOT (problem was still the coil pack though.)

Old 02-06-2011, 03:13 PM
1st Gear

OMG YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!

Thanks so much, I was able to fix it based on the instructions here. Went and got a new coil and Code Scanner at the auto parts store. Removed the Cylinder 2 coil and the Cylinder 3 coil. Swapped them. Cleared the code. Then started the engine, light came on and it ran rough again, but code had moved to PO303! So it was the coil! Took the coil out of three put the new one in, cleared codes, started it up and ran smooth and quite, no codes. Just drove it for about 45 mins and no codes or problems.

The only issue I had was took me about 40 mins to figure out how to get the electric plug unclipped from the coil. I did it want to break it, and could not figure out how to release it. Finally I tried on Cylinder 1 (BTW all but cylinder 1 had the date 10-3-03 written on them in Sharpe, guess that was when they last were changed) and figured it out. After that the whole switch out, clear codes and fix the problem took like maybe 20 mins and all I needed was a screw driver to get the engine cover off and to push the retaining clips back on the coil connection. No bolts on my coils.

So HAPPY now I don’t have to stress about my car and can just be stressed about my interview.

Thanks SO MUCH all!

Matt

Old 02-06-2011, 03:20 PM

Glad you got it worked out. The later model B5s have push down coil packs like yours, the earlier models bolt down.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:25 PM
1st Gear
Smile

Originally Posted by morpheous
umm... Did you pay attention to anything we just said? if you did,you would not be on your way to the auto parts store to get 1 coil replaced,instead what you should be doing is planning on going to your local audi dealer tomorrow and get all 4 replaced free!,without wasting money on buying one from the store that will be taken by the audi dealer and replaced anyway.

When you take your A4 to a audi dealer,with the replaced coil,they won't give you back the replaced coil you just bought,they keep it as a core for the replacement coil packs and will destroy the defective coils they replace. So i'm saying save the couple bucks you have,you'll get all 4 for free,not just the 1 you are buying!

someone already said it,you can drive with the one cylinder misfiring for a day,it won't harm your engine,so you can make it back and forth between your job interview.
Haha, yea I did listen, but trust me as stressed out as I am about this job interview, and the fact we are supposed to get another 6-12inchs of snow between now and tomorrow, for $23 for the part it was totally worth it not have to worry about my car, so I could worry about other things.

The other reason is the closest dealer to me is like 15 miles away on a really heavy traffic road, in the snow and crap, just did not want to deal with driving my car vibrating like that to my interview, then back, then to a meeting I can’t miss Tuesday AM about another job (though not really an interview) then we are supposed to get even more heavy snow Tuesday, drive down to the dealer in all that crap too with my car vibrating like an unbalanced washing machine.

So yea, I know it’s just going to get replaced, likely Wednesday, but to not have to worry about it till then, or breaking down on me in the snow, was well worth the $23.00

Plus now I can add “ability to make minor repairs to Audis” to my resume

Last edited by MattCO; 02-06-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:31 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by lm0812
Do you get a misfire in normal driving? Mine would only misfire under WOT (problem was still the coil pack though.)
Yea it start yesterday on my way home from the dry cleaners (got my suit done). Was just driving along then all of a sudden the whole car started to vibrate and shake, the light started blinking and it felt like it was going to stall out all the time, plus I had no power, so if I had to get out of the way of someone skidding on the snow pack quickly, I would not have made it. It did not feel safe to drive and was stressing me out!

When was the coil recall? because only the last year have I stopped taking it to the dealership. I got another recall notice about the sunroof too, I’ll get both of those done at the same time.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:57 PM
2nd Gear

OMG YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!

Thanks so much, I was able to fix it based on the instructions here. Went and got a new coil and Code Scanner at the auto parts store. Removed the Cylinder 2 coil and the Cylinder 3 coil. Swapped them. Cleared the code. Then started the engine, light came on and it ran rough again, but code had moved to PO303! So it was the coil! Took the coil out of three put the new one in, cleared codes, started it up and ran smooth and quite, no codes. Just drove it for about 45 mins and no codes or problems.

The only issue I had was took me about 40 mins to figure out how to get the electric plug unclipped from the coil. I did it want to break it, and could not figure out how to release it. Finally I tried on Cylinder 1 (BTW all but cylinder 1 had the date 10-3-03 written on them in Sharpe, guess that was when they last were changed) and figured it out. After that the whole switch out, clear codes and fix the problem took like maybe 20 mins and all I needed was a screw driver to get the engine cover off and to push the retaining clips back on the coil connection. No bolts on my coils.

So HAPPY now I don’t have to stress about my car and can just be stressed about my interview.

Thanks SO MUCH all!

Matt
Congrats on the DIY coil replacement...your cherry is now officially popped!

Old 02-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by morpheous
Congrats on the DIY coil replacement...your cherry is now officially popped!
when is your cherry going to be popped?

Old 02-06-2011, 06:26 PM

Nvm lol.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by turbo kraut
when is your cherry going to be popped?

Quick Reply: Need some advice ASAP code PO302