B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

New A4: Trying to diagnose problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 05:46 PM
1st Gear
Default New A4: Trying to diagnose problems

Hey everyone i've always been lurking on the forum and decided to make a account today.

So I picked up a 2000 Audi A4 1.8t for a good price. Only thing is it has a couple of problems that i'll list out and say how i'm planning to fix them or what i'm guessing is the problem.

1) The gas gauge needle is very playful. Sometimes it reads properly then another time I see it move down to the red then the LCD low fuel light comes on.....I'm guessing bad cluster....

2) The brake light symbol comes on....My friend pressed the brake pedal and all the lights came on ..... So like I said i'm guessing it's a bad cluster or the wiring is bad in the car.....

3) The oil temp gauge doesn't read anything so...Therefore i'm planning to order the sensor from ECS tuning then swap it...

4) The coolant temp gauge takes a long time to come up to normal operating temps.....Like before i'm planning to order a new sensor from ECS tuning then swap it...Hopefully it's not the thermostat....

5) When I was driving the car back the oil pressure light started beeping along with the symbol. I couldn't stop so I drove her home, let her sit at idle for a bit then turned her off. Checked the dipstick and everything was fine.....The next day I drove her out *in the city* for the day and the light hasn't returned.

6) I'm can't think of anymore MAJOR problems but i'll update the thread tomorrow. Btw I DON'T have VAG COM but trust me i'm planning to get it pretty soon lol

Old 11-03-2013, 07:04 PM
1st Gear

The fuel gauge reading improperly is usually attributed to a faulty fuel sender unit. There is a fix for that on this forum, look in search.

Since you mentioned the rest of your instruments are working pretty weird also, makes me think, was everything tapered with? Do you have any check engine lights on?

Old 11-03-2013, 07:17 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Kamil`
The fuel gauge reading improperly is usually attributed to a faulty fuel sender unit. There is a fix for that on this forum, look in search.

Since you mentioned the rest of your instruments are working pretty weird also, makes me think, was everything tapered with? Do you have any check engine lights on?
Thanks i'll search that up now. I'm not sure, i'm the 3rd owner. Bought it from someone in Valley Stream, NY. Only the oil temp, coolant temp and gas gauge are acting up. Doubt they were tampered with.