Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help me diagnose.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 01:42 AM
4th Gear
Default help me diagnose.....

Here is a quick rundown.....

1.8t 97 quattro

I was driving, accellerating a little. i heard a "pop" kind of like a backfire. Lost power, and car stated to buck a bit.

I took it out of gear, and coasted, engine still runnning. Pulled of the road and stopped.

If I keep my foot off of the gas, car seems to idle fine. Engine revs up if I press pedal, but then almost dies when I take foot of accellerator. It ALMOST dies, but then will kick back up and idle normally.

So I tried to drive. As soon as I give the car gas, and put it in gear, it boggs down and wants to die. Doesn't seem to like the load on the engine. So I try to let the clutch out at idle. Car moves. so I give it gas. It wants to die.

So I figure out, that if I start moving, and release clutch, shift, all the while keeping the rpms at 2k, i can get the car going. I drive it home about a mile. If I give it too much gas, it wants to die, and car starts bucking. If I take it out of gear, bucking stops, car will stay at 2k if I keep my foot on gas. So i make it home by putting the clutch in and out and keeping the revs as steady as possible.

I smell a lot of exhaust fumes. Maybe broken flex pipe? Could that cause the symtoms? Lack of back pressure?

At first I thought timing belt. But car starts and idles fine, and engine revs fine if not in gear. All the posts I researched say car wont start if timing belt is broken.

I am going out now to jack car up and look underneath.

Also, I read the codes with my codereader, there are no codes at all. engine light is not on.

So, no codes, timing not broke, car idles and revs, just not while under load. Symptom: car wants to die (bogg out) when I try to drive it normally.

Ok, I know somebody has had this problem. I will jack her up, and then come back and read your great posts!!!!!

Thanks for any ideas you may have!!!!

Old 05-01-2006, 02:32 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: help me diagnose.....

OK, sorry for this whole post.

I missed the obvious. Upon closer inspection now, I found the air intake hose coming from the intercooler to the engine had popped off. I have only had the car since Nov 05, and I have never messed with this hose at all. Somehow it became loose and popped off the intake.
So, I put it back on, and clamped it down nice and tight, and she's back to running like a thoroughbred.

I missed this on my quick once-over on the side of the road. I guess it never hurts to look twice! Now I feel like a dumba$$.

Old 05-01-2006, 02:50 AM
Zombie Defense Force

well at least you were able to fit it and didnt run to the stealership.

Old 05-01-2006, 02:54 AM
4th Gear

Thanks Jeff!

My name is also Jeff, by the way.

An I am very jealous of your BT.

I want to do the same someday, but it will be a while.........

Thanks man!

Old 05-01-2006, 03:05 AM
Zombie Defense Force

dude jeff is the best name by far

Old 05-01-2006, 03:07 AM
1st Gear

as i was reading your orginal tread i was thinking vacum leek whole time... happened to me... not where yours did but it happens from time to time... glag you figured it out... and glad it didnt cost lots of mucho denero!

Old 05-01-2006, 04:53 AM
5th Gear

same thing happened to me on friday it was funny i accelerated and then hear psssshhhhhhhttttttttt and was all oh **** sounds like i got a bov cool, lol jk........ then i figured the hose came off and looked sure enough it had blow the **** off, makes me want one of those samco hoses, i dont know why but it does

Old 05-02-2006, 03:30 AM
4th Gear

I guess I need a Samco as well.

Old 05-02-2006, 04:10 AM
5th Gear

yea they are nice and will keep the hose from doing wierd **** again