B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

The Next Step: Fog lights...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 03:43 PM
Administrator
Default The Next Step: Fog lights...

Hey everyone!

As some of you prolly know, I just got done with the 2-piece to 1-piece headlight conversion. As more of you probably know, this has left me sans fog lights. I'm torn about how to fix this problem. I could do the OEM facelift fog conversion; I know a coupla you guys have done that, any advice?

I could go completely aftermarket, so LED's or some such thing.

OR, and this is the option i was leaning towards, I could combine the two...say OEM fog lights and grilles, but with 3000k HID bulbs or somethin. Would anyone that already has HID fog lights care to give some input, positive or otherwise?

What do you guys think?

Old 07-17-2009, 03:48 PM
Administrator

It's really up to you which route you're gonna go with. Obviously the aftermarket way would probably be cheaper (unless you can score some used OEM parts). I have yet to see any clean aftermarket conversion foglights on any Audis so I personally would suggest going OEM way and putting HID's in there.

I have put HID's into the foglights but didn't really like the outcome (personal opinion). I basically tried matching the fogs with the headlights - colorwise. It's not hard and I would suggest getting the slim ballast kit from DDM for the fogs.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:53 PM
Administrator

hmmm thanks for the input. I have the 8000k kit from VVME for my headlights, but i was thinking something more yellow for the fogs anyway so color match isn't that important. Is that the only reason you don't like HID fogs?

I agree with you about the aftermarket thing though, I'm just worried about making it look legit, I don't do hack jobs.

Are OEM grilles/foglights tough to come by?

Old 07-17-2009, 05:07 PM
Administrator

I just didn't like the look of HID's inside the fog housings. It was way too bright for my taste.

I'm not sure how hard it is to get the grilles but you might get lucky. Check out B5 that are being parted out on Craigslist or even local junk yards. I have seen couple of locals parting out their cars completely because of accident and selling the salvaged parts.

Speaking of aftermarket job, I have seen some B5's with built in LED's within the grilles. They look decent but absolutely have zero contribution when it comes to improving visibility at night.

^ similar to that

I also have seen couple of B5's with the S6 LED's. They look pretty different.

Last edited by kriptonik; 07-17-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:36 PM
1st Gear

I have 8000k HID's in my fog lights and I think it looks great. It improves visibility a lot. I have 6000K HID's in my headlights, so the color contrast between the two also looks good IMO. I'll try and take some pics so you can check 'em out.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:52 PM
Administrator

shorty- thanks man i'd appreciate that.

krip, I'd be interested to see what those LED's look like lit up at night, that looks like a really clean install