B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

No one wants to cut my eBay key

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 06:10 PM
1st Gear
Arrow No one wants to cut my eBay key

I just a key fob from eBay. I took it to the stealership and they won't cut it.
I went to several locksmiths and they won't cut it either.
Any suggestions?

Old 05-12-2009, 06:29 PM
1st Gear

Why won't they? I don't see the problem.. if it's the same key.
A friend of mine had his ebay key cut here in a local shop..

Old 05-12-2009, 07:32 PM

Did you try an audi indie shop? Course call them first to see if they can. Yea not understanding why they will not do it, oh that's right they want you to sell your arm first.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:22 PM
1st Gear

They all say that my key will damage their machines.
All of them recognized the key as one sold online.

I guess I could keep trying

WalMart told me that they wouldn't cut it because it had a chip, but I might try to get them to cut it and then take it to the stealership to program the chip.

Any more suggestions?

Old 05-13-2009, 12:16 AM
Administrator

You could try calling your local locksmith and tell them you need an Audi/VW key cut. They should know what you're talking about. Not all of them are able to do this job but I know one or two will. Try Google-ing locksmith near your area and give them a call.

As for programing, there is no need for you to go to the dealer. This is an easy DIY job.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:28 AM
3rd Gear

walmart/home depot/lowes/normal retail stores dont have a laser key cutter im sure. you have to find a good locksmith and they will have no trouble doing it. i dont even think dealers cut the keys there, i think they send out for them so they wouldnt even have the machine to do it there.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:44 PM
1st Gear

Just a warning about the eBay keys. I bought a couple of blanks on eBay. My local locksmith cut it for me. It was real snug getting it into the passenger side door lock, although it would operate it. However, the key wouldn't even go into the ignition at all.

My wife took my car and the 2nd blank to the Audi stealership. They cut the key, but again, it wouldn't fit into the ignition...at which point the guy at the parts department counter whipped out a handy dandy digital micrometer (WTF?) and discovered that the ebay key was a little thicker than the keys from the stealership.

So...after all that BS of having two eBay keys cut, I still had to pay $80 for a new key from Audi, which included the top half of the keyfob.

Moral of the story...spend the money...it's not worth the headache.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:49 PM
1st Gear

I wish I had known this before buying the key. I had read on the forums quite a few success stories.
One of the locksmith guys actually told me that those eBay keys don't meet OEM specifications.
The stealership will charge me $80 for the top part and then $50 to program the chip (not the remote, but the key)... $130 sounds too much for me.

Originally Posted by RyanSweeney
Just a warning about the eBay keys. I bought a couple of blanks on eBay. My local locksmith cut it for me. It was real snug getting it into the passenger side door lock, although it would operate it. However, the key wouldn't even go into the ignition at all.

My wife took my car and the 2nd blank to the Audi stealership. They cut the key, but again, it wouldn't fit into the ignition...at which point the guy at the parts department counter whipped out a handy dandy digital micrometer (WTF?) and discovered that the ebay key was a little thicker than the keys from the stealership.

So...after all that BS of having two eBay keys cut, I still had to pay $80 for a new key from Audi, which included the top half of the keyfob.

Moral of the story...spend the money...it's not worth the headache.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:49 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by RyanSweeney
at which point the guy at the parts department counter whipped out a handy dandy digital micrometer (WTF?)
do you know how much easier a digital micrometer makes identifying random bolts that people bring in and want replacements for? the guy knows what hes doing.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by ghost6303
do you know how much easier a digital micrometer makes identifying random bolts that people bring in and want replacements for? the guy knows what hes doing.
That is what I use or a bolt gauge .
I stopped by a local locksmith and he said no waaaaaay today. I still only have one key and the reason for this is like stated above...+$100...

Quick Reply: No one wants to cut my eBay key