B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

No start, no clicking,no bussing, batt good, no turn over

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by A.Estilo
Wasn't the grounds.

all fuses where good.

fuel pump did buzz

No turning (motor/starter)what so ever with a good battery and with jumper cables.

Managed to find the schematics on this forum somewhere. They where of much help.

The print said switch, relay(module) then starter so I checked the circuit for the starter and didn't get 12 volts at the starter even though I did get a click at starter solenoid.

Pulled the switch jumped a few wires to start the car and vuala, she starts.

So Midniteoyl was right, the switch was bad. I have now changed the switch and she works perfect.

Thanks for the help guys.

I leave this behind in case someone else finds themselves down the same road.

There is a wealth of knowledge on this board just have to read and search.

With a little patience and the help of the board members here I solved my problem with out having to go to the Stealer, I mean dealer.

Thanks guys!

A.Estilo
When you wrote switch, did you mean ignition switch?

I have a 96 and have the same problem, but I went out and bought a battery and still nothing happens when the switch is turned on.. all lights and windows work..

Old 08-23-2009, 09:17 PM
4th Gear

When you wrote switch, did you mean ignition switch?
Yep.. ignition switch. Give it a looksie

Old 08-26-2009, 10:23 PM
1st Gear

Yes! ignition switch was changed as mentioned by Midniteoyl.

I don't want to confuse you with what I had to do to check the circuit so I'll keep my reply short.

Holler if you need anything and we'll offer help or walk you through the check proceedure(what to look for).

A.Estilo

Old 02-06-2010, 01:24 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

Guys i need your help. I am sure i am having this same problem and im stuck at work.

I need step by step exactly how this guy checkd for the problem. Everything works (lights, AC, windows, etc). When the key is turned, there is no crank at all. Nothing.

What wires do i jump so i can get the car starting temporarily so i can drive it to a shop? Where do i do the volt testing?

Old 02-07-2010, 09:38 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by vgo
Guys i need your help. I am sure i am having this same problem and im stuck at work.

I need step by step exactly how this guy checkd for the problem. Everything works (lights, AC, windows, etc). When the key is turned, there is no crank at all. Nothing.

What wires do i jump so i can get the car starting temporarily so i can drive it to a shop? Where do i do the volt testing?
Sorry for the late response but I didn't get the update form the server until 7:50 this morning when I turned the phone on. It was on till 10Pm last night, however, but didn't get this update until this morning, a day late.

So in an emergency situation, keep in mind there may some lag time before people will get updates to your post.

Anyway, sorry for your troubles, ultimately you have to check and see if you get power to the starter.

There is no quick fix;

Under the dash requires some disassmbly to get to the switch, wiring and relays.

To get under the car/starter requires some ramps as there is no room under there. You need a little time to check voltages and such.

Check the voltage at the starter itself

Power to the starter, over 12volts at the starter on both legs, solenoid and main lead will most likely be a problem at/with the starter itself, grounding to the starter or something else other than the switch.

No power to the starter or even low power to the starter will possibly be the switch, relay or wiring.

It is that simple.

What I did once I checked voltage to the starter. I wasn't getting any with switch turned to the on position and also no power with the switch turned to the off position (obviously not supposed to get any in off position).

So deduced my problem was not likely the starter and looked under the dash.

I then took the white switch on the column out behind key and jumped there to start.

Can't seem to find the wiring diagram right this moment but can anyone chime in and maybe add the schematic link here. Also add which wires behind the switch relate to stater/starting.

Its been so long I would have to look at it again to remember, sorry about that, again its been a while.

Also don't want to give anyone wrongfull info here as to which color wires.

Adding that info to this thread may serve to help a fellow member in need down the road.

Thanks guys and sorry, best of luck with the switch/starting issues.

Estilo.

Last edited by A.Estilo; 02-07-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:20 AM
1st Gear

bump does anyone have this schematic? i need to start my car lol

Old 11-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Actual WIZARD

I wanna learn to hotwire my car

Is it just me, or does EVERYONES b5 mess up in the same way at the same time. Every post is ignition switch related or heat related

Old 11-02-2010, 07:13 PM
1st Gear

me too lol im tired of having my car just sit in my driveway

Old 02-17-2011, 06:23 PM
1st Gear

I am having the exaCt same problem. How do I go about testing to see if the ignition switch to see if it works. The OP said something about jumping the wires.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:35 PM
2nd Gear

umm if theres no attempt of it trying to start and no noise, wouldn't that be the ignition/starter?

Quick Reply: No start, no clicking,no bussing, batt good, no turn over